Keyboard Not Working In Zorin OS or Any Distro

Keyboard Not Working In Zorin OS or Any Distro

The Keyboard Name Is ANT ESPORTS KM540

Hey There, i have been a fan of linux ever since i saw it but when i got a new gaming PC, i thought why not celebrate by installing linux but after installing linux whenever playing games or doing just any thing I can't use my keyboard at all. The caps lock and numlock lights are unresponsive, so are their functions wont work. Volume adjust doesn't work, none of the buttons work at all. I can't switch TTYs either, because no buttons work.
One key always gets stuck and keeps repeating forever until I fix it by rebooting , but then again it happens. It's always a different key, not the same. here's some extra information: 1) my keyboard in a live linux usb no matter what distro iam using my keyboard works perfectly fine, however if i install that specific distro no matter what distro i install it does stuff like I can't use my keyboard at all.

2) it happens on any distro no matter how many times i reinstall it, no matter how many times i reinstall a specfic driver, i have tried different usb ports, however i tried another keyboard it worked on it but that keyboard is broken.

3) Its a plug and play device and works on windows, mac, and in the BIOS/UEFI

The Keyboard Name Is ANT ESPORTS KM540

This sounds like the Generic Drivers are functional, but the installed libinput package is not.
You might remove libinput and reinstall xorg-xserver-input-all
But... that being said, it may give you other grief later.

Given that this specific model of keyboard is troublesome across all distros you have tried, I find it to be most likely that the hardware manufacturer flashed the board with all of its hardware firmware in order to cut costs and save time; rather than ensuring that the proper firmware is used that identifies that model (this is not uncommon, sadly).
If that keyboard is giving you that much trouble; you are far better off replacing it and confronting the manufacturer than in trying to force-fit it to work (only to have it or other things break unexpectedly later, during a firmware update or any other factor).

1 Like

hey thanks for the reply! i didnt quite got it when you mentioned "flashed the board" like the motherboard or the keyboard "board"? or anything like that, the keyboard dosen't give any problems in other OS or UEFI, what if enabling csm legacy support would work? please do let me know!

All hardware is programmed with its own operating system. When you use an operating system, like Zorin OS or Windows OS, it does not control and command that hardware, it can only communicate with that hardware through Drivers. The hardware is controlled and commanded by its own operating system.
The insertion of that programming onto the hardware is called Flashing.

In any other OS - do you mean Windows? Because above, you said it has performed the same on every Linux OS you have tried.

CSM Support deals with how a system boots. Once booted, its job has ended. It should not have any effect on your gaming keyboards operation once you are logged into the desktop.

There is a small chance it will - because of the aforementioned manufacturer shortcuts - but it is certainly not the first thing I would try. IF that worked; it means that hardware is faulty.

1 Like

Whilst this GitLab post relates to the mouse, there is an interesting reference to a different manufacturer that uses the same IC as the ESPORTS mouse, the software from the other manufacturer works with the ESPORTS mouse so perhaps there might be a similar keyboard manufacturer to ESPORTS with better software.

2 Likes

Sorry for the Late Reply, is it possible that secure boot can be the cause here? i have secure boot enabled when i install zorin os and normally when i work on it

Did you have Secure Boot enabled on all Distros you tried"?
Did you ever setup MOK utils on any distro?

1 Like

yes i did have secure boot enabled on all distros, what is meant by setup MOK? sorry im a beginner learner in linux community :slight_smile:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot

Secure Boot operates by ensuring that only Signed Drivers are permitted to load and run.

1 Like

So since the keyboard works on any other os except linux, that means its probably the driver issue in linux, so most likely disabling secure boot would help right?

please do let me know sir

It could help, yes. I cannot say it Most Likely would help because I do not have enough information to say that. But it is certainly worth testing to find out.
Are you dual-booting with Windows OS on that machine?

1 Like

no, a few times i installed linux and it was ok, no keyboard problems, no, nothing, but i had to uninstall linux since some of my games wasnt working, then i found out you can use proton to play games on linux so when i reinstalled linux that is the point where this started happening not only in games but everytime, i dont quite remember if i did disabled secure boot or not when i first installed linux but yeah thats all the info i got about this situation

Secure Boot is for Windows OS only.
So if you are running only GnuLinux, then disable Secure Boot and do not worry about setting up MOK at all.

1 Like

great! im going to try linux again

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.