Kyocera FS-1220MFP

I've update my original reply with more information on the Kyocera package - hopefully it will work. When I was working, we had a Kyocera MFD device (can't remember the model number) but at the time I was running Zorin 12 on an off-line (not officially networked) Samsung Notebook and was able to connect it to the network and print to the Kyocera but I did have some teething issues to make sure it was printing to the correct tray!

3 Likes

Wow. It is impressive.
Do you think you can create a tutorial with this?
I am sure it will be quite beneficial to anyone having an driver issue with Kyocera printer in Linux.

2 Likes

world using GIF

I think we can all relate to teething issues.

2 Likes

How do I get to that list of drivers? I tried searching for "printers" and "drivers" in the start menu but none led to a list like that.

I'm not sure if I have that (I haven't manually added it), but if I double click on the deb file it does install. However, it doesn't add any extra loadable software, and "Document scanner" from the start menu still can't find a scanner.

Printers -> Addition a Printer Setting.
Select cups-brf:/

1 Like

I don't have a Printers menu in the start menu, and if I type "printers" nothing comes up? I'm sure I've missed something obvious, but I don't know what, sorry!

It is not printerS, but printer (singular).

Click on the bottom button for additional printer settings.

1 Like

printer finds no results for me - print finds this one, but as soon as I add more letters it disappears.

Are you using Zorin 16 or 15?
Mine is Zorin 16 (Gnome desktop)

Zorin 16 Pro, Gnome desktop

Same as mine then.
Humm...
I will ask our senior adviser @Aravisian

[edit]

You can also access to the printer from "setting".

1 Like

One thing I noticed is that the first time I installed Zorin 16 Core Pro, the Start menu had an entry for Wine/PlayonLinux etc. Then, a few days later, I wiped the drive and reinstalled it all fresh. That time there was no entry for Wine/PlayonLinux, so I added them via Software. It made me wonder if possibly other menu entries were missing the second time.

Can you open the setting window and see if Printer is listen on the left pane?

I quickly check my installed software.
There is no Wine nor PlayOnLinux.
It is normal.

1 Like

Okay, via Settings there is a printers option:

If I click on it I see this:

That was set up by Zorin itself when I connected the printer - it popped up a box with the correct printer name.

I can't print to it though. If I try, I get this:

But, of course, I haven't got to the point of applying the driver suggested above, because I don't know how to get to that screen that lists all the drivers so I can save the one I was told to save:

No idea how to get to that screen and driver list!

Please see my posting above:

1 Like

Ah, right.

Okay, I found that menu option, then browsed to the FS1200 and chose the top option as recommended earlier.

I accepted the default settings, didn't change anything.

Screenshot from 2021-11-13 17-02-58

Then told it to do a test page.

No errors, though nothing printed, and the print queue is empty. :frowning:

While I cannot grantee it to work, you could try other driver options.

1 Like

Good idea. I tried a few other options. I then also installed some other Kyocera models (the ones with the nearest series number) and ran test pages from each, but nothing printed. I think I have to accept that it's either scan and print in my dual-boot Win10 sessions, or try and sell and buy new. It's not the end of the world wither way, and I appreciate all the help in trying to get this to work!

One other thought - I have no real idea how Wine, Play on Linux, VMs and Crossover work, but is there any chance those could run Windows printer/scanner drivers?

1 Like

I do not think it would work in Wine.

You might be able to pass through to the printer in VM Windows but I've never tried it myself.

[edit]
I remember I once pass through a USB connected Wacom pen tablet to VM Windows to take advantage of a better driver in Windows. In theory, you should be able to directly connect to this USB printer and use Windows driver. But the printing must be done within the virtual Windows.

One advantage for this configuration is that there is no need to reboot the system like in a dual boot system.

1 Like