Laptop doesn't power cycle on shutdown or restart

If you want to test nomodeset, just have

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

And test that way.

Wayland is an alternative to the X-Window system that... pretty much doesn't seem to work with anything else.
When you Log In, you can click the Gear Icon to the lower right (GDM3) or the Desktop at the Upper Right of the panel (LightDM) to check what you are logging in as- It would be listed as Wayland or Gnome With Wayland for Zorin Core.

Noā€¦ Iā€™m on xfce4

1 Like

I actually enjoy that window manager the most. Why is it the 65 generic recovery doesnā€™t work but the 45 recovery does? No difference with the grub changeā€¦ maybe there is a changeā€¦ just locked up on entering de

Interesting. Do you think rolling back to the -45 and then testing booting normally on Nvidia 460 is worth a shot?

Thatā€™s the version of zorin? How would one ā€œroll backā€. I found it difficult enough to reinstall to fix previous issuesā€¦ hadnā€™t realized what i broke and how

No, that is the version of the Kernel.
I believe you should be looking at the 5.4.0 Kernel version. Then you see the 5.4.0-45 and the 5.4.0-65 - When bugs are patched or improvements or made or compatibility added for newer hardware, the Kernel version gets Updated between major release versions.
So those two as the example are the Same kernel- with the -65 having some patches and updates over the -45.
Your version of Zorin is 15.3 and it is the last release- there will not be a Zorin 15.4. The next release of Zorin OS will be Zorin 16.

I canā€™t wait to see kernel 5.11. Supposed to have better and efficient use of amd ryzen architecture

Okā€¦ now this is annoyingā€¦ just froze at loginā€¦ doesnā€™t have my name or custom login screen. canā€™t type, no mouseā€¦ nice

Is there a way to revert back to the first installed nvidia driver? Things worked before i screwed with that. Maybe a configuration file edit? I canā€™t log in now

1 Like

Since this is a dual gpu system, when there are acpi errors it boots fine into the amd or Intel cardā€¦ but nvidia is the only issueā€¦wtf

Hers a thoughtā€¦ under xconfig.d, the 10-amdgpu and 10-nvidia files i modified with the primary gpu keywordsā€¦ if i swap them nvidia not amd is, itā€™ll boot, correct?

It might, but that would lead to Other Problems, plus it would be resource intensive.
Which driver were you using previously? If the previous Nvidia driver was working, on the current 5.4.0-65 kernel- that would be the route I would go, if it was me.

Something has really got this thing in a bindā€¦ it locked up earlierā€¦ in recovery menuā€¦ what is the command in terminal to revert drivers? Can it be for from live usb or has to be elsewhere?

It would be to

sudo apt remove nvidia-460

Then install the one you need the same way

sudo apt install nvidia-The-Number-You-Need

Not from Live USB as that would affect only the USB, not your PC installed system. You can enter the commands from Recovery Menu prompt or tty

Yeahā€¦ just performed remove on usbā€¦ lol . Where does apt put those drivers?
I donā€™t have network at root prompt recovery

In more than one location, lol.

You can enable Networking from the recovery menu, prior to Drop To Prompt. Enter the Recovery Menu, tab down to the Enable Networking option first. Enable networking, then back out to the Recovery menu and tab down to Drop to Prompt. Hit enter, then input the commands while connected to net.

Lockup. Cursor stops blinkingā€¦ acts like i asked it to marry my mother in lawšŸ˜µ

2 Likes

What would cause the lock up even in the Recovery menu

Not sure- can try removving nomodeset in recovery.
See, the Recovery Menu is loaded by default as ā€œrecovery nomodesetā€.
You can edit this by stabbing the ā€œeā€ key at Grub. The grub looks different in this mode; you will need to arrow key to the word ā€œrecoveryā€ and backspace it. Then ctrl+x to exit. Then try booting into recovery mode.

Other option, from grub, try loading a Different Kernel.

How do you load a different kernel? Only two options o have are .65 and. 45, with or without generic graphicsā€¦ sorry, one recovery mode the other is just generic