Laptop Speakers only work after waking up (Live Session)

I love Zorin OS 16 so far but I want to test it as much as I can before committing to a real installation.

My laptop is an HP Pavilion 15-CW1007la and the sound device shows completely fine in sound settings, the volume bar even moves while I'm watching videos!

But it's having this weird issue where sound only works through headphones (3.5mm jack and USB C) but no audio comes out of the speakers.

Tried pavucontrol and alsamixer and everything was ... normal? nothing was muted, undetected or showing any issues.

Even weirder is that I put my laptop to sleep so I could do something, but when I came back and turned it on again the audio blasted through the speakers at full volume, everyone in the office loved it :roll_eyes:

is this something Live Session related? should it magically fix itself after installation?

Has anyone here had any similar issues?

1 Like

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Can you open your terminal and write lspci and post the output here in the forum.

Thanks for the welcome!

Here's the output from my terminal:

Blockquote
00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Root Complex
00:00.2 IOMMU: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 IOMMU
00:01.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:01.2 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0]
00:01.6 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0]
00:01.7 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 PCIe GPP Bridge [6:0]
00:08.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 00h-1fh) PCIe Dummy Host Bridge
00:08.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Internal PCIe GPP Bridge 0 to Bus A
00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH SMBus Controller (rev 61)
00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] FCH LPC Bridge (rev 51)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 0
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 1
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 2
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 3
00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 4
00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 5
00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 6
00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2 Device 24: Function 7
01:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: SK hynix Device 1339
02:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8821CE 802.11ac PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 15)
04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c1)
04:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Raven/Raven2/Fenghuang HDMI/DP Audio Controller
04:00.2 Encryption controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) Platform Security Processor
04:00.3 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1
04:00.4 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven USB 3.1
04:00.5 Multimedia controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/FireFlight/Renoir Audio Processor
04:00.6 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Family 17h (Models 10h-1fh) HD Audio Controller
04:00.7 Non-VGA unclassified device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD] Raven/Raven2/Renoir Non-Sensor Fusion Hub KMDF driver
Blockquote

I see 2 soundcards, the second one is the one that is in use IF you don't use a hdmi cable and connect it to a monitor or tv.

@Aravisian has this to do with a setting you provide to someone else yesterday (from 3 to 2)

That was the powersave configuration file; That feature will disable the wifi when a notebook battery is low.

Try this from arch wiki: amixer -D pulse set Master toggle

This will cause amixer to ask PulseAudio to do the toggling rather than toggling it directly. Because of this, PulseAudio will correctly unmute Master as well as any applicable output.

This will disable auto mute Mode on startup:
sudo amixer -c 0 sset “Auto-Mute Mode” Disabled

Did you install firmware for your laptop? make sure you have sof-firmware, alsa-firmware and alsa-ucm-conf installed if you have a newer laptop.

This:

sudo apt install alsa-firmware-loaders alsa-base

1 Like

Sorry for the delay! :pray:

I tried installing the firmware with this:

Then I ran this:

amixer -D pulse set Master toggle

And the output was this but still no sound :thinking:

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 65536
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 26197 [40%] [off]
Front Right: Playback 26197 [40%] [off]

Do any of these changes need a restart? because again (just as a reminder), this is live session and it has me puzzled as to why it only works after waking up the laptop after suspending it.

LiveUSB, Zorin OS is not installed?

Yeah, I wanted to make sure everything was working before installing and sound seems to be the only thing missing

And I was thinking about dual-booting alongside windows 10 so I guess more problems might arise :fearful:

You may try disabling IOMMU in your BIOS settings or adding iommu=off as a grub parameter, but this is harder to test in LiveUSB as opposed to a fully installed system.

Ok so I finally pulled the trigger and installed Zorin OS 16 Core on my laptop alongside Windows (dual boot).

I installed and updated everything, rebooted a couple of times and everything seems to be exactly the same as in LiveUSB.

Tried this

Then this

amixer -D pulse set Master toggle

But my audio is still not working :pensive:

You may try disabling IOMMU in your BIOS settings or adding iommu=off as a grub parameter, but this is harder to test in LiveUSB as opposed to a fully installed system.

@Aravisian what does this do exactly and how do I do it? I'm inexperienced with grub but I'm a developer so I'm not* scared of getting technical :thinking:

I really appreciate your guys' time and effort you put into the forums + the OS itself, so thanks for any help :pray:

OK so nevermind apparently?

I put my laptop to sleep, woke it up again and sound works normal. Even after rebooting, shutting down and switching from Windows 10.

No idea why it decided to work but I'll take it.

1 Like

Agreed. But:

I should answer this for future reference.
To add a Grub parameter:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Look for line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
In this particular case, you would have added iommu=off, so it would look like
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash iommu=off"
Tap ctrl+x to exit, then y to say yes to save, then enter to save as current configuration.

Anytime you edit grub, you must update grub when finished to make the changes take effect.

sudo update-grub

(Users often forget to update grub after and come back and say, "It didn't work...")

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.