Latest update - battery life drastically worse

Yes, the laptop has a discrete GPU. sudo prime-select shows that it's set to intel. Whether that means the GPU is being proffered or not, I don't know.

The NVidia X Server Settings App opens only a window frame, with no content - there are therefore no profiles to view.

I realise that using the NVidia GPU was never going to give good battery life. I had neither used it nor messed around with NVidia settings before (when I was getting estimated ~10h battery life) - I'm looking to work out what not to update on this fresh install that would occasion the 80% cut in estimated battery life I saw for a prolonged period earlier today.

I'll look into the CPU frequency extension recommended - thanks - though I'd imagine it does the same sort of thing as the SlimbookBattery TLP frontend, but with less control (i.e. it has 'limit CPU profile' opens of Maximum, Medium and None, and a CPU scaling governor options of Powersave or Performance).

There are several commands that can show What Recently updated.
You can try

less /var/log/apt/history.log

Once we see what updated, we can try to figure out what to correct. Maybe.
I would suspect a bad download corrupted a file during an update, rather than that the update brought breakage.

4 Likes

Since I've since done a clean install (didn't bother backing up logs etc) that's not an option now open to me.

If the issue recurs, I'll definitely take a look through the apt history (now I know where it is!).

If the issue had been a download corrupting during an update, what's the general procedure for diagnosing and fixing it? Reinstalling the last x number of packages?

Yep, generally.

2 Likes

I'll bear that in mind for the future.

Presumably working out whether a successful update has broken something vs. a corrupted update is at fault is a matter of experience and not something I could easily work out?

I think it is a guess, no matter your experience level.
You try it and see if it works.

3 Likes

Magic, thanks for your help and advice (all).

I'll hold off adding any more posts unless the problem recurs, in which case I'll either post here, or find a more appropriate forum if I can work out what the issue is.

AG

3 Likes

I can vouch for NVIDIA Gpu taking whatever it can...I get a couple of hours battery life on this Workhorse of mine . But, I don't travel with this (got a Chromebook 10.4 inch screen for that) it's used for my songwriting and band work. Why I still dual boot till I get it down.

Sorry not trying to stray from subject. But it stays on a desktop or table in the den. So as @FrenchPress stated I pay little attention to battery life... I'm looking for performance so I use NVIDIA no matter

As @StarTreker stated the cool thing is as easy (or should be ) to fix via his walk.

2 Likes

After Upgrade to Zorin 16, my Dell's Battery works 2 hours less than before :frowning:

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Your posting has been moved to the similar thread to concentrate our volunteers effort.

1 Like

OK Got it.

Just, Do we have some news about Battery? :confused:

81% and 1h:22min.. impossible :confused:

1 Like

According to the posting nos. 12 and 14, either change the NVidia card settings (if any) or clean install fixed the issue.

3 Likes

what do you mean in " clean install fixed the issue " ?

Wipe entire drive and start over from scratch.

2 Likes

Thank You! everything works fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Glad to hear that.
Did you re-install OS?
Or change the NVidia settings?

1 Like

VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 5500 :slight_smile:

VGA need more resources.
here is mine, at this moment
Screenshot from 2021-11-15 16-15-56

1 Like

Thanks for this report :heavy_heart_exclamation:
I am sure it will help the future visitors to this forum having a similar issue :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So am I understanding correctly, you now have an approximate maximum battery percentage, to last up to 5-hours on a fully charged battery now? If this is true, that is not bad! Thats enough time to watch 2 movies, or play a heck of a lot of rounds of solitaire. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.