Lenovo All-In-One 520-24AST AMD A12-9720P RADEON R7 8GB

Have AIO 520-24AST All-in-One (ideacentre) - Type F0D3..
[desktops and all in ones :: 500 series :: aio 520 24ast :: f0d3 :: f0d3000eus :: mp1ax1n7 - Lenovo Support US](Lenovo Machine Details)

Preparing to try ZorinOS

• 1x AMD A12-9720P Processor(AMD A12-9720P)
  • 1x 8GB DDR4-2133
  • 1x 1TB 7200rpm
  • 1x Integrated AMD

Question : Best-practices for touch-screen AMD lenovo machines attempting to run ZorinOS?

It should works,
Just pay attention to installing AMD GPU driver as this is only factor may affect the response of the touchscreen.

Just give it a try without installation and see

1 Like

Tried OS install with Wifi on..
rebooted.. zorin logo pulses.. cursor appears then disappears.. blue-screen quickly flashes then disappears.. then screen goes black (not to login)

Tried OS install with Wifi off..
success rebooting to zorinos login screen (config I chose during OS install)
logged in
ran software update over Wifi
rebooted after update and same exact things.. logo pulse, cursor appear then vanish, blue-screen same, and to black screen

Installed again with Wifi off..
success reboot to login
logged in
restarted
success reboot to login
logged in
restarted
success reboot to login

On the BSOD after a Wifi-enabled OS Install -or- after a software update I don't know if zorin is still trying to install the updates or not because screen is just black - wait 5mins for BSOD to possibly go away - nothing comes up on screen -don't hear processor doing any work so I have no idea what's happening

Assuming something from update breaks my boot but don't know what
(Rather not be stuck on 16.3 Core forever on this machine)
Advice anyone?

Well, It seems like kernel 6.5 issues with AMD same as Nvidia.

Just stick with the base kernel 6.2 for starting,

To avoid repetitive installation, I suggest to partition the disk as,

/sda1  for EFI
/sda2 for root
/sda3 for home if you like
/sda4 for swap
/sda5 for recovery - to be used after installation with TimeShift

you can use USB external HDD as /sdb1 and ignore /sda5 above,
Proceed with,

Connect wifi and Ignore updates for the time being,
Install TimeShift and create snapshot#1 on /sda5 so that in case of system failure on later stage, just recover it back using TimeShift.

• Find out the appropriate AMD driver to install AMDGPU.
  • In case of successful reboot and loading GPU, take another TimeShift snapshot #2, if not, rollback to snapshot#1 by booting Zorin USB or alike.
  • proceed with updates which includes kernel 6.5 and find out.
  • in case of failure, just rollback to snapshot#2 by booting Zorin USB or alike.
  • once back to login, insert the below file, prefer to reboot, and update again.
sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/nolinuxupgrades.pref <<EOF
Package: linux-*
Pin: version *
Pin-Priority: -1
EOF

In case of everything is ok after, then kernel 6.5 is the problem.

1 Like

vCentre that's many steps involved for troubleshoot..
Think I get it..

Is repetitive installation an issue ?
I'd rather not hassle with Timeshift partitions though seems it speeds up process - I'm not in a hurry

What is the process of "Trying different AMD driver installations" ?; Don't I need to access the system in a post-update safe-graphics state via terminal to adjust AMDGPU to compatible package ? ; Just not sure exactly how to utilize AMDGPU Installer

Specific AMD driver installed by update seems to override whatever 16.3 Core installed with a non-compatible AMDGPU during update ; Not easier to set flags that block any AMDGPU updates during update ? Since 16.3 Core AMDGPU works just fine- Maybe can't config a modified update that doesn't target AMD Drivers and subsequent AMDGPU ?

This touchscreen AIO is for education - is there any option(s) to pay fee for assist in troubleshooting via zorin channels or peers?
I'm willing to pay ~$75 for 45 minutes of troubleshooting assist so that I can utilize this machine for education purposes in teaching my students

Just to clarify, do you have already 16.3 installed and looking for upgrade to 17?

No really sure about that, may @Aravisian the Community Leader advice you in this regard.

1 Like

To exchange payments with Zorin OS users would set a situation for users to profit from the Zorin OS product.

The free help we offer on this forum is not funding limited. We offer help to the best of our ability and adding a payment to it would not increase that ability.
Nor are we withholding troubleshooting in order to receive money.

In some use cases where the owner of proprietary hardware needs proprietary AMD drivers, then they may need to install AMDGPU (Proprietary).
In general, most users do not and can use the Open Source AMDGPU drivers that are included in the Linux kernel.
Should a user run into issues with AMDGPU, changing the kernel to a different version is the first recommended step, rather than dashing directly to AMD"s proprietary sets.

There may be some confusion: AMD is proprietary?
Yes.
In Spite of AMD being a stakeholder and contributor to Linux, this is primarily surface show. Beneath that, AMD quietly declines drivers to Linux under Proprietary code. This contradiction is quite odd, but AMD does not provide any answers for it other than silence.

1 Like

Yes have successful 16.3 Core working - thinking I need to take advantage of primarily security upgrades - not sure I get such sec upgrades unless I upgrade to 17? How to get minimum sec upgrades on 16.3?

Wow thanks..
So if I understand..
AMD (proprietary) package install of AMDGPU(proprietary) may be best as opposed to AMDGPU Open Source included with Linux kernel updates

Seems me upgrading from 16.3 to 17 updates kernel which updates AMDGPU Open Source (which seems to be causing my pre-login BSOD)

Contacting AMD(proprietary) support for package needed for my proprietary hardware- and how to switch to it post-update for possible resolve..
Assume since after update my BSOD is pre-login I need then enter admin terminal during boot (before BSOD) to manually install AMD(proprietary) and reboot from terminal - Hopefully AMD will guide this process

May have questions along way to post here - thanks for help -donating :slight_smile:

It may or may not be.

I would recommend trying a different kernel before trying a proprietary driver.

If this is the case, it seems far more likely that the later kernel has a regression and you need a kernel prior to 6.1

1 Like

Operating System: Zorin OS 16.3
Kernel: Linux 5.15.0-78-generic
Architecture: x86-64

Via USB I install 5.15.0-78-generic(which installed via 16.3 Core(version on my USB)
After successful 16.3 Core install I complete software update and reboot to pre-login BSOD because the update is updating to 6.1 kernel (which for some reason is causing said error likely AMDGPU related)

So I should try updating just the kernel version (to maybe what?) to determine which kernel is breaking with BSOD.

When you boot, the system is set to automatically boot the latest kernel. Installing the earlier kernel is not enough. You must also set Zorin OS to boot from it, not the later kernel.
You can access the Grub Menu, then select Advanced Options for Zorin and arrow key to the option for Zorin on 5.15... to boot from to test. If it works, please follow the steps outlined here:

1 Like

Thanks..
Believe this is ultimately the solution then..
Try different kernels to see which of breaks with pre-login BSOD - identifying the AMDGPU(open source) version to possibly blame for

So lastly if I understand correctly..
With the AMDGPU(open source) responsible for BSOD- I need modify it switching it to (proprietary) to see if I can get a more updated kernel to work with (proprietary)

If not able to software update to newer kernel+AMDGPU - I need way to control so that security or other non-related updates can be applied

Any additional advice for doing above is welcome- I'll let this thread close itself out

Well, twice now I have stated my recommendation and twice you have asked if you understood them correctly by stating the opposite.

It sounds like you prefer the option to install the proprietary AMDGPU, so I recommend that you test this option first and see if it provides a solution or the results that you need. It very well might and is worth trying.
To do this, I would suggest installing Zorin OS 17 in the normal fasion. On reboot, boot into the Grub Menu, then select the Advanced Options for Zorin and select to boot Zorin on -kernel- (Recovery).
In the recovery menu, arrow key down to Enable Networking. Once enabled, back up to the recovery menu and arrow key down to Root - drop to prompt. From here, follow the steps to install the AMDGPU. In this way, you never enter the desktop to get a blank screen.
Once completed, test booting normally.

1 Like