Lenovo ThinkPad x61 Dual Boot Installation Option Missing

Actually it is not me who is amazing.
The real brain behind this project is this:

1 Like

I think you need to format this original 150GB partition using Gparted tool included in the live USB. You will not see the install option till you have a properly formatted partition.

Please be sure all chkdsk, windows fast boot and hibernation are complete and off before proceeding. If you change the partition for windows and windows has a lock on the drive for one of those purposes you'll be installing two os's, not one.

Resize the windows partition leaving about 10gb for play. Updates and software will eat it pretty quickly. The unallocated space that gives you can be formatted ext4 (not in windows... windows can't read ext4) that will be where you put zorin. Overwrite the windows bootloader partition to have the dual boot experience. Beyond that, you should be good. If you do make a mess, install using the gpt/uefi style of possible (may have to upgrade your bios though). If make sure the bios was completely up to date before trying any of this.

I haven't been able to resize my Window10 volume/partition. I need to figure out why. Might be some page file or hibernation files locking it. Need to reconfirm.

Chkdsk completed long ago and have fastboot off. Hibernation was off, but sleep was still on. Windows defragmentation tool mentioned certain files unmovable and left at 3% fragmentation.

Just turned sleep off and will reboot to see if I can manipulate volume size.

There should be nothing for windows to lock the drive for then. You shouldn't have an issue.

Thanks for your help everyone, @Aravisian @FrenchPress @337harvey. I did disc defragmentation another time and got it down to 2% after turning off Sleep in Advanced Power. Then used Paragon Partition Manager to resized Win10 partition down to 103GB with 30% free space in it. Left 50GB space unallocated on the HDD. It finally allowed me to install dual boot. :grin:

I will bother you all again sometime in the near future.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

I can hardly wait to help you!
Every single new Zorin user gives a satisfaction to my small ego :smile:

I'll give you one good news: Linux never needs defrag :grin:

In that case, prepare to be bloated! :joy:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.