Libre office version

Hi there! I currently have 2 versions of Libre Office installed. I already had the flatpack installed when I upgraded to Zorin 17. Normally I would just take that one off in the app centre but that one is v24.2. More or less a beta channel release with newer features.
As such, I'd like to go ahead and remove the 7.6 ubuntu native release since I don't need 2 of them and the one I have is working well.

I tried to do sudo apt-get purge libreoffice* but it said it wasn't found. I also tried without the '*' but same thing.

I know I'm missing something simple but my quick google search has come up empty otherwise. lol

Thanks,

Tes

Use the software store to find what is installed and delete from there.

Well, like I said, the one I prefer to keep IS the one from the store. That's the flatpack, and the only one that shows up in the softwhere store when I search it. I want to keep that.
The one I wish to remove is the one that Zorin installed when I upgraded.

When I look at my ZOS 17 fresh installation, I have LibreOffice applications from the Zorin repositories (APT) not a Flatpak. There is a Snap version too. Not sure where your Flatpak came from. I don't recall LibreOffice being Flatpak on ZOS 16.3 since Zorin has always had their own PPAs for key programs.

Hi Tes, Install Synaptic Package Manager, launch it (you will need to provide your login password for it to run), then search for libreoffice. It should not come back with any flatpak software. If it does show the packages for the one you want to remove it will have a little green square. Right-click these and mark for removal and click on Apply from the menu bar.

Try instead please sudo apt purge libreoffice-common

After that type sudo apt autoremove to delete the Rests.

This is not a Beta. This is the new Version. They changed the Stuff with the Numbers to a Year-Month Sheme. 24=2024, 2=February.

Personally, I like @swarfendor437's suggestion about using Synaptic Package Manager. Can use the "complete" removal option and be assured of no excess traces of LibreOffice being left behind that way. On the same token, I have also used what @Ponce-de-Leon suggested in the past. That works well, too. Just remember to use the "sudo apt autoremove" (no quotation marks) after using the first command @Ponce-De-Leon provided. That will finish the job. Either option provided to you is viable. Good luck, @Tes. Please let us know the outcome.

1 Like

Yes, good Point. I have added that.

1 Like

Use this with some caution. Please take time to read the output it creates and be certain that items listed for removal are those you expect to be removed. Do not just hit Y in a hurry without reading the small print first.

3 Likes

Yes I have run into this before. Autoremove took out WAY more than I had expected and I no longer had a desktop environment lol...

Anyway, thank you everyone for all your replies. As an unfortunate turn of events, I think I had downloaded some malware off the software store (again) because for the second time, but root drive ran out of space in a matter of hours. This has happened before and after cleaning the drive, it filled right back up again by the next day.
This time, I couldn't even clean it. And then each time I rebooted, the computer got worse and worse until I couldn't even do anything on it. I couldn't restore with Timeshift because there wasn't enough disk space... it was just a mess. So in the end I had to wipe and reinstall (Thankfully my /home folder is on a separate drive). I lost my flatpak version of office, so I'll just keep the native one that came with Zorin at this point.

Again, Thanks for all the help. At least there's a reference for anyone else who has the issue now lol :slight_smile:

Tes

This is very unlikely to be MalWare as the repos are vetted and scanned, along with all software added to the repos must pass through Lintian.

If Root is running out of space consistently, the most common cause is /var/log filling up with log files.
You can regularly vacuum to clean old logs, but there is most often some problem causing the logs to generate and fill space that should be addressed.

2 Likes

how does one find the problem?

If logs are filling, then checking the content of the logs may provide the necessary information about what is going wrong.
In the app menu, there should be a Log Viewer. You can past the recent portions here using code tags.
Or, you can set the /var/log directory to be cleaned regularly or limit size:

1 Like

This post reveals my occassional "keep disk tidy" regime: System optimization on Zorin/Linux ...? - #9 by zabadabadoo

1 Like