Linus Torvalds On Future Of Desktop Linux

3 Likes

I finally got around to watching this. And it was good for the most part. But I noticed a few issues.

(1) Interviewer needs to gain more experience and learn to ask better questions, and stay focused on those questions.

(2) A good interviewer should always be prepared with more lav-mics and chairs, for the possibility of more people.

(3) If your audio setup doesn't use noise cancellation, then the interview should be taken indoors, in a sound controlled environment.

Some of the questions that were asked, made Linus very uncomfortable. They had nothing to do with Linux or the kernel. You don't go interviewing the fry cook at Mcdonalds and ask them their thoughts on the Apollo Guidance Computer that was used by Nasa.

No, you ask questions about what its like being a teenage fry cook, while going to school, and how they manage to balance all that in their lives. It was nice hearing the opinions from the famous Linus Torvalds though. He most certainly sounds like a guy who operates in his little corner of the Linux world.

He doesn't seem to much care about what Ubuntu is doing, or Arch, or whoever. He is just concerned with what he is doing, as well as his other staff on the project they are working on. Which in my opinion, is a very healthy attitude. I also understand how he feels about some things too.

I hope Ted channel gived better interview.

History Linux.

Oh wow, what a night and day difference. This one was far far better. Loved the professionalism in this, it was a really well done interview. No BS questions, only excellent questions, important questions.

This allowed me to get to know Linus Torvalds. And believe it or not, I completely understand him, as I see a lot of me in him as well. We have a lot to thank him for.

I hope everyone realizes, just the fact that Zorin OS exists, and this forum exists, all of this that has brought us all together, we can thank this man. Cause if Linus didn't create the kernel, open source may never have become a thing.

And we know that it would have been a very different world in tech. Just look at what other big corporations are doing with closed source software. I think between OPEN SOURCE, as well as RIGHT TO REPAIR for hardware, were going to see big changes in the coming months/years.

I am also really impressed with what Frame-Work has been doing, when you combined that with Linus Torvalds kernel, in this case, Zorin OS, your computer becomes a super star. :stars: And, you are a star :star2: for using it.

Thank you @StarTreker I tried understand better linux that why I put some videos if someone start interesting not only using a Linux for daily driver.
Bought some cheap course last days when forum was closed.

also I start interesting Linux From Scratch.
Linux is really amazing this is code where you can choose how you want it will be working or how it will be looking.
Last a few days I also searching how many youtubers sayed a Zorin is a distribution winner 2021

I wondering if with Zorin you can do that something from this Tools. Which is best to take experiments with Zorin

Kernotex channel is also interesting on YT.
I hope on some next years people will be more using linux because tired a monopoly corporation and they big prices.
Linux open source is to huge to closed him and science more interesting him because they seen many undiscovered things.
The webside github also is awesome.

1 Like

And yet, with Linux literally everywhere, there are still people who don't know what that is. I was speaking to somebody at my bank the other day, and when I asked them if something would work on Linux. They said and I quote, "Linux, whats that?"

Suffice to say, I felt bad for them. :frowning_face:

Some people still are in Ice Age. :slight_smile:

Some good quotes by Linus Torvalds:

• “I am not a visionary. I'm an engineer. I'm happy with the people who are wandering around looking at the stars but I am looking at the ground and I want to fix the pothole before I fall in.”

• “Talk is cheap. Show me the code.”

• “Intelligence is the ability to avoid doing work, yet getting the work done.”

• “Given enough eyeballs, all bugs are shallow.”

• “Humans are destined to be party animals, and technology will follow.”

2 Likes

The Code: Story of Linux documentary (Multilingual) - YouTube multilanguage

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.