Linux Apps for new users from windows

Hey guys!

Like me probably have a lots of people trying to leave windows and stay in linux.

I know that exists a lots of apps in windows and linux, but for me some of them is completely unkown.

I know that we can search in google (already do that) we can share here some apps, to help me and other users.

Witch apps do you recommend? (anyone) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You can apply a filter to only show Linux alternatives.

2 Likes

These are my personal faves:

-Blanket
-BleachBit
-Caffeine
-Catfish file search
-Flameshot
-Timeshift
-Stacer
-Spotify
-Mindmaster
-Rambox

Those were helpful for me starting out, i hope they can help you too!

2 Likes

This is nice, but only have apps right?

Plugins that people use on distro, do you know if there any similar website?

1 Like

This look nice, didn't know that

1 Like

yeah totally comes in handy. can connect to my multiple email inboxes, teams account for work, and outlook too all in one place. plus my cloud services. makes it to where i can be on my personal laptop and still check on work stuff at the same time ;]

1 Like

This is a good question.

Coming from Windows, it's relatively easy just to install and use Linux for just browsing and Linux can be great for non-techies who do mostly this.

However, if you regularly depend on a suit of apps that you have become used to, things can be harder. In most cases, though, many important apps are cross platform, such as Libre Office, VLC, Inkscape etc.

For me, there are only two missing alternatives that have caused me trauma:

Paint.NET
A wonderful Windows only raster image editor that offers many advanced features, but is easy to use and lacks the overwhelming complexity of photoshop. Perfect for images used in web-pages and applications.

The nearest thing I've found is Krita, although it is not always suitable and is over-complicated for many simple tasks. Sometimes I have to use Gimp, but find it insanely complicated and counter-intuitive (I can't even figure out how to draw a simple line). Both of these seem targeted at graphic artists.

There is actually a Paint.NET clone on Linux called Pinta. But this does not work properly and seems abandoned.

Visual Studio
I've had use VS Code instead, but this was a painful learning curve and does not quite provide the functionality of Visual Studio even with all the extensions. However, I'm comfortable with VS Code (mostly) now.

In the end, I was determined to move to Linux no matter what the cost. I don't regret that.

1 Like

To smooth out the switch from Windows, I can say Edge beta browser has been working fine for me. I use it for office365, all good up to now.

I don't think it includes plugins. But then I don't really know what kind of plugins you are referring to. Would you mind giving a few examples?

Steam with Proton engine and you can game all you want.
Spotify, same as in Windows.
Blue Recorder to record your desktop and/or games.
Gimp for picture manipulation. Very powerful if you know how.

1 Like

Oh sorry i say plugins, but most of them is apps. (example: cpu stats and fisk usage, show on desktop)

This i use and work very well, never try lutris but i don't know witch one is better.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.