Linux is really difficult compared to Windows

Well said.

I can understand the windows just works view, as when you buy a oem pc, its setup, with applications tuned (yes with bloatware) but has device specific drivers, and you that most application you buy in store on online will run.

Honestly i think apple does this better, and as much as i abhor their business practices i do recommend cupertino to non-tech people - it "works" and its a locked eco system so its hard to break things.

That said I'm hearing a person who had difficult time, whether their fault, hardwares fault, or just bad luck ( i had one netbook that won't run zorin or mint - but will run ubuntu 20.04 - don't ask me why or how lol) sometimes things don't work, i've had pc that wouldn't run XP sp2 that ran sp1 and then upgraded to sp3 no problem.

@speedyb perhaps try Zorin 17 when it releases it will be a newer platform and should play better with newer hardware (such as new 4k monitors), and try to use the software center or .deb downloads for applications at least until you are more experienced apt is powerful but not "smart" it does what its told, whereas software center and .deb usually include addition files and needed libraries (similar to windows apps installing c++ or .net libraries)

I imagine you feel the same frustration i get when i went to do a friends brakes and find out i need a 5k computer to put the brakes in service mode 0.o like yes the car is amazing and has really cool features, but i just want to put brake pads on lol

one final thought, you can always install windows as you main os, and use Linux off a live usb until you learn the ropes and get comfortable with it - I beleive with Microsoft and Apple both veering towards ad supported SAAS models for operating systems that many will make the jump to linux to avoid their computers looking like a late 90's web browsers with ads everywhere.

4 Likes

download

6 Likes

Yeah I tried from hp on W11 it send to app in windows what not working and is poor. Propably all things forward to app installation to fix problems what not working. That why i don't liked W11 big junk operating system.

I'll never knock anybodys experience when switching to Linux, however it's not difficult its just different to windows. I was a windows user from windows 95 days till 2020 I was always scared to make the switch but I can honestly say when i did I found it a fairly painless experience to the point I would never return to windows now. Research what your getting into with linux beforehand and its a lot of fun and if your lucky enough to stumble across Zorin as I did nothing could be simpler. I'm not a windows hater far from it and I realise that for a lot of people buying a computer already configured with an operating system is where Microsoft has cornered the market. Nobody is going to become a linux expert overnight or in my case if ever, but if you put the time and effort in you'll soon come to conclusion that Linux is awsome.

4 Likes

The one conclusion we all was learning when we are children with ecosystem windows pc,laptops then comes android what all that operating system belong to some corporations.
The exampled what i wrote is something like a children grow up and stop using toys.
This is similar to the windows operating where mostly everything is simple but the linux need from you adult decisions.
Every decision in linux operating system could damaged your operating system like in real life.
In windows mostly you don't need doing nothing because you are a "slave".
The next example what i remember i was with windows with almost all life.
The cut that "virus" is something hard like people who smoking cigarette almost all life and difficult to quit.
Besides every change in our life need our time and energy also using a head.
That why mostly all hardware have some instructions.
For me I created many things.
The idea it is tip of the iceberg. Why?
I need bought a tools to building that idea.
Ok. Tools i have, then next i need buying all parts to idea could be realistic on the earth.
Ok I have a tools and parts. What next?
Then it taken my time and energy and another things go to second place.
When my idea was finished i was very excited and I am still excited. Why?
Because it working 10 years and everything is for my preferences.
Working better from some more expensive ideas in shop what you can get.
I found old rusty bicycle frame.
Everything is new and renovated, stickers are only original and frame number.
Ok here is that my idea.

2 Likes

This difficulty shifts as well by usage. After using Windows daily for years, I switched my main to Linux. I remember how easy Windows was and that sticks with me until I actually try to switch back. Workflows that I take for granted now in Linux are very difficult if not impossible to replicate in Windows. It takes me a few days to adjust my mindset back to Windows.
This is an issue for me, so much so that I requested and use a Mac for my work computer. I find the workflows between Linux and Mac to be more compatible for me to jump between.

3 Likes

I found dual-booting Windows : ZorinOS ideal to overcome the learning process, for what was to me a different (not so difficult) OS.
You should find over time Windows gets booted less and less, then only for apps that require Windows.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.