Login loop with nvidia-driver-460

I apologize if this is a repeat, but I don't even know the right thing to search for to find the solution...

I'm on Zorin 15.3, using a 2018 Matebook X Pro with MX-150 with nvidia-driver-460 enabled in the Software & Updates application. Most often, I use two different USB-C dongles with HDMI outputs to hook up to my external monitors (still saving up for a proper thunderbolt dock), but also use the internal display by itself from time to time.

Nvidia X Server is empty when I launch it. When running nvidia-settings in the terminal I get an error back.

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

(nvidia-settings:14010): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 23:35:49.113: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

I can enable the Nvidia drivers using sudo prime-select nvidia and reboot, but I get stuck in a login loop. I can see the User selection screen, enter my password, see the login screen take the password and think about logging in, but it fails and loops back to the main login screen. The only way to get past the login loop is to CTRL + ALT + F3, login, sudo prime-select intel, and reboot.

This happens regardless of whether I'm hooked up to my displays or on the internal display.

To Double check; Secure Boot is disabled in UEFI settings, correct?

I would not use the Nvidia-460 for the GeForce MX150. I could be wrong about this, so others please chime in.
You might try the Nvidia-driver-415.

sudo apt install nvidia-415

Or, you might try:

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

sudo apt remove nvidia-*

sudo apt autoremove

Check the recommended driver with:

ubuntu-drivers devices

Install with:

sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall

Secure Boot is definitely disabled in BIOS. I'll see if the other driver fixes the issue

Followed all the steps and still have the same issues. The recommend driver was 460 so I'll manually try the older version and see if that does it

1 Like

Ok... interestingly enough, nvidia-415 nor nvidia-driver-415 are available in apt...

Are you logged in on Zorin On Wayland? Nvidia will not work on Wayland (Like many other things...)

Check if you have the following file:
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf
Or
/lib/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf

I'm not logged into Wayland.

There is blacklist-nvidia.conf in lib. Should I remove it?

YUP.
Remove it, then reboot and test.
Also be sure nvidia-prime is installed.

sudo apt install nvidia-prime

Searching for nvidia-prime I found there are two versions installed... could that be related?

What you show is normal. Looks good.

Ha! removing blacklist-nvidia.conf from lib/modprobe.d put me into the login loop. Had to switch to intel in prime-select and reboot

Strange... Alright... Let's try nomodeset

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"
Then

sudo update-grub

Check if login loop....

Still login loop. Had to switch back to intel to get back in. On another note... how do you increase the resolution of the CTRL + ALT + F3 menu? I need to squint on this 3000x2000 screen

Ok, I would suggest reverting grub back to just quiet splash for now.
The only other things I can think of would be to disable All Gnome Extensions (You can do this from Gnome-Tweaks) and then log in to see if you get the loop. If not, start isolating which extension is causing it and reinstall that one.
If you do get the loop, you might reinstall gnome

sudo apt install --reinstall gnome-session gnome

EDIT: tty Screen Res:

Ok. I actually forgot to update grub before rebooting. I made the grub changes, updated grub, rebooted and am now stuck pre login screen with a list of start up messages. Can't get past this now... Hard reset with power button can't bypass...

[ ok ] Started The Apache HTTP Server.
[ Ok ] Started Session c2 for user gdm.
[ Ok ] Started User Manager for UID 121.

Can you sift through the several suggestions made in this thread here:

And see if any help your situation?

Got back by going into recovery, signing into my user from the root terminal, and removing the nomodeset from the grub configuration. For some reason it was hanging during boot with that enabled. I also ran sudo prime-select intel for good measure. I was hoping to get this working for some hardware accelerated android emulation, but I'm a little over it right now. When I get back in the mood I'll probably look into the extension stuff. Maybe I'll just pray to the Linux gods Zorin 16 fixes all this when it releases; hopefully soon.

Honestly, why wait? The BETA is pretty rock solid. I would go so far as to say, it's not really a beta.
I am using Z16 BETA and it will receive the same updates and releases as the "final version" of Zorin OS 16, anyway.

I am sorry I was not helpful; In fact, it looks a gooier mess now than before I started. I am not usually this destructive.

I can relate to this on a spiritual level.

So you haven't seen any deal-breakers yet on Z16? I'm reluctant because, even though I'm a fairly competent software dev, I'm still pretty new to Linux and I'm afraid an issue I'd run into might boil down to... you need to uninstall and start over again.

You are already there. :expressionless:

Total opposite.
I started on Linux at the Tail-end of Zorin OS 12.4. Zorin 15 was released some odd months later and I honestly was not all that impressed.
Eventually, I switched from Z15 to Ubuntu 20.04 in order to make use of certain higher software and gtk; I ran this for about three months.
Then Zorin 16 Alpha, then Beta knocked Ubuntu into the mud. Better meshing, much faster performance. Great introduction of new features and Apps.

2 Likes