Losing Focus from Terminal causes lightening color [Zorin OS 16 Beta Release]

Hi Everyone!

First of all, kudos to the whole team and community on Zorin OS. It's fantastic :clap:

I purchased Zorin Ultimate a year back, and have had a great experience so far. Was more than excited to try out Zorin OS 16 Beta Release. Here is the only issue I'm facing:

• Open Terminal Window (let's call it X)
  • Switch to any other window (or even a different terminal) (let's call it Y)
  • The font color lightens on Window X (see screenshot below)

With focus, this is how it looks:

Is it intentional?

My very first question is, is it intentional? The reason this doesn't look the best to me, is in case I'm streaming or sharing my screen and I lose the focus from my Terminal, I don't like the font color lightening.

While this is a personal opinion, I understand it can be something the majority of the community likes - and I totally understand. But I'll appreciate it if I can disable this effect - any help on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks!

1 Like

I am reasonably sure that it is intentional, since having a window change appearance when not in focus allows the user to easily differentiate between active windows. It is something I make use of a lot, myself.
There are many ways to go about it- for me, I change the Window Borders more often than the Text. But yes, you can take full control of this.

Please navigate to your home config directory
~/.config/gtk-3.0
and create a new document named gtk.css and save it.
In the open document paste in the following:

terminal-window .terminal-screen { background-color: #F5F7FA;
color: #022547;
}
terminal-window .terminal-screen:backdrop { background-color: #F5F7FA;
color: #022547;
}

Change the colors to suit however you want. The above hexadecimal color codes are a guess on my part, based on the screenshot you shared.
Save the document and log out and in to see the effect. (Or, you can press alt+F2 and enter in the letter r for restart and hit enter to restart the shell).

From this gtk.css document in the ~/.config/gtk-3.0 directory, you can modify other portions of the theme that you may wish to tweak, so feel free to feel the power and to ask any questions.

1 Like

Hi, @Aravisian - Thanks a lot for your quick response. I really appreciate that.

I did try this, doesn't look like it changed anything (after trying to restart the shell). I'll try the log-out in a few hours (can't do it now, sorry - a build is running).

I'll get back here in case it doesn't work or if it works. It's interesting that it's intentional, I might take some time to get used to it and who knows? Maybe I'll start liking it as well :slight_smile:

Thank you again for your response and great work.

Yes, I may be wrong about restarting the shell. That would affect only the Gnome-Shell portions (governed by gnome-shell.css). Sorry- I do not use gnome, so I forget some things about how it works once in a while.
I am quite sure that logging out and in again will demonstrate the change. BUT - if you prefer to not log out and in - open Zorin Appearance and change your theme to a different one. Then change it back to the one you are using now - and that should show the changes.

1 Like

Thanks for the response, again. @Aravisian

Yes, I may be wrong about restarting the shell. That would affect only the Gnome-Shell portions (governed by gnome-shell.css). Sorry- I do not use gnome, so I forget some things about how it works once in a while.

Please don't apologize, that's fine. Just curious though, what do you use then? I had made a safe assumption that everyone here uses Zorin :smiley:

I am quite sure that logging out and in again will demonstrate the change. BUT - if you prefer to not log out and in - open Zorin Appearance and change your theme to a different one. Then change it back to the one you are using now - and that should show the changes.

So I thought I'll try and log out because opening Zorin Appearance and changing the theme, unfortunately, didn't work.

Logging out did solve the problem though. Thank you very much!

1 Like

I use Zorin OS, but not Gnome Desktop.

Zorin OS comes in Core Gnome Desktop Environment or Zorin OS Lite XFCE4Desktop Environment. Zorin Ultimate offers a choice of Gnome or XFCE4.
I prefer XFCE4 or Cinnamon Desktop (the Linux Mint Desktop). I am currently using Zorin OS 16 Beta- I installed the XFCE4 desktop environment on it (And I installed Cinnamon Desktop on it).

1 Like

Oh wow! Sorry, I forgot - you can install different desktop environments after all. That's great.

I'll try out something like this as well maybe. :smiley: Thanks!

2 Likes