LTE modem driver support

I'm using Zorin 16 Pro on my HP Elite X2 1012 wiith a built in Snapdragon X5 Lte modem. Before I moved to this OS, i have tested the modem and it worked over windows, but now, it doesn't seem like there's even an option for it unline on windows where it knows it's a cellular network card. please advise, I would really like to use the lte capability of this thing. Thanks

It works in Ubuntu 20.04 but not in Ubuntu 21.04:

I suspect... kernel regression... Zorin OS 16 is using the 21.04 kernel.

You might try rolling back the kernel to see if that works:

sudo apt install linux-headers-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-5.8.0-63-generic linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-63-generic linux-image-5.8.0-63-generic

Be sure to Boot Into the 5.8 Kernel by tapping the esc key at Boot Menu Grub and choosing Advanced Options for Zorin to test the 5.8 kernel.

1 Like

I will try and see if that works, but at least it's good to know that there might be a fix to this. Thanks

1 Like

If it did work, how would I know? Will it show under network options as a cellular module like how it shows up on windows? or do I have to do something else completely?it does seem like the system is seeing it as a wired connection as I don't have anything hooked up to this right now yet it's showing that there is some sort of 'wired' connection and it has a MAC address when I look it up. Any sort of terminal codes or something would really be appreciated

lshw -c network

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Wireless 8260
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:3a:00.0
logical name: wlp58s0
version: 3a
serial: f4:8c:50:e9:e2:92
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.11.0-38-generic firmware=36.77d01142.0 8000C-36.ucode ip=192.168.133.40 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:156 memory:dc400000-dc401fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 2
bus info: usb@1:5
logical name: enx56ac1473dbcb
serial: 56:ac:14:73:db:cb
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=cdc_ether driverversion=5.11.0-38-generic firmware=CDC Ethernet Device link=yes multicast=yes

this is what that terminal line is giving me, maybe this info might give anyone an insight as to what I should do to edit my lte sim card's APN settings, if there's a way to do that via terminal, could someone put it on here, I think that's all I need since when I briefly wiped the machine back to windows, I noticed that I have to reconfigure its APN settings before it's fully functional again. Maybe if there's a way to do that in terminal, that's all I'll need to get this fixed.

Just to note here, the one above showing as "ethernet interface" is what I'm suspecting the lte module is being read as, the unit itself doesn't have any kind of ethernet or wired connection that's why im suspecting it to be what I think it is.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Marked Solution. 386