Macbook Pro 17 inch mid 2010

All-right my fellow zorintians!
I need some brains to solve this puzzle.

Zorin OS on a macbook pro mid 2010 (17 inch) MacBook Pro 17-Inch "Core i7" 2.66 Mid-2010 Specs (Mid-2010 17", BTO/CTO, MacBookPro6,1, A1297, 2352*): EveryMac.com

Issue: The system freezes when running 3+ programs on ZOS when I keep the nouveau drivers. If I switch to the nvidia340 drivers, the xServer will not even load and I am forced to work with the terminal.

I figured my system needs to run the nvidia304 drivers but apparently they are not supported. So… im stuck at the moment.

I need help to do one of the following:

1. disabling the nvidia card and run only on the intel HD gpu at 256mb.

2. roll back the kernel, install nvidia304 drivers, and hope it works.

The challenge is that I believe that the nvidia card also runs the audio. I might be mistaken on that tho.

I would love to see Option two happening. Who can help me out with this?

You can do this with

sudo apt-get remove --purge ^nvidia-.*

This will not work due to dependencies. But why not try:

sudo apt install nvidia-460

Or

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa

sudo apt install nvidia-dkms-460

Why would the nvidia-460 work on the GeForce GT 330M… I can try this but I hope I dont have to install OS all over again for the 4th time!

If you look at the nvidia site 340.1080 driver is the last driver supported for your model. I don't think 460 will work.

@Aravisian: Installing the nvidia driver manually will not work either ?

It should work. The 460 driver contains all the same information, just also contains additional information for the later models.

We solved a persons Nvidia problem on the exact same card a month or so ago by installing the 460 driver, instead.

1 Like

I thought end of support really means end of support by nvidia, guess i am wrong haha. Thanks for the info.

Well Michel, to be 100% accurate, a user with an Nvidia GPU, should look up their card on Nvidia's website, to see if its still supported. Because if its no longer supported, Nvidia will state so, and they will also state, the last Nvidia driver version, that supports your card.

This is something that anybody can do!
https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

1 Like

That is what i did, the last working driver for that card is 340.1080. I always check on the nvidia site when a user reports a driver is not working well for them.

That is why i said 460 would probably not run

1 Like

Your a smart guy Michel, I like it! :grin:

1 Like

Well… when I try to run 340.180, the system crashes during bootig and I can only access the terminal using alt+ctrl+f2. It really sucks!

Kernel version?

uname-a
This is an old result, it was quicker to just copy paste mine from my thread for reference.

Well… i gave it a shot to the 460 driver and it almost worked but it seems it needs some configuration still. At least now I get the SORIN startup logo to show but it freezes after the animation. Any sugestions?

5.11.0-37

OK, good to know your running the latest available kernel, and we haven't had a bunch of bad reports about that kernel version, so you should be ok I would think.

I want you to click on the Zorin :zorin: logo and type disks, click on that to open the DISKS utility. Select the disk on the left side that has Zorin OS on it.

Click on the 3-dots and click on smart data self tests. Then click the start self test at the bottom of the window. Post your results when completed.

And yes, at this point, I am wondering about the condition of your drive, it shouldn't take long to run these steps to find out if your drive is ok.

Can you either boot to tty terminal:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

Change this line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

ctrl+x to exit, hit the y key to say yes to save, then enter to save. Then sudo update-grub.
Try booting after performing this.

This did the job!!! Awesome! However, the loading of the system is slow. But after that, it works very smooth. I will start a new topic on the booting issue i'm having. Thank you kindly @Aravisian

2 Likes

@StarTreker ...
thanks for the help here. After getting the system to boot using nvidia-460, I followed your instructions.

This is what I got:
Threshold not exceeded
Disk is OK, 8 bad sectors
40° C / 104° F

Were you looking for something else?

LM

1 Like

I was looking to know the condition of the drive. You have 8 bad sectors on the drive, which is not a good sign. But thankfully you don't have any really important data on the drive since this is a fresh install right.

Having said that however, I would consider putting money aside for a new hard drive at some point. Just so you know, a healthy drive doesn't have bad sectors. And before you ask, can bad sectors effect an operating systems ability to function? Answer is yes it can.

As the drive accumulates more bad sectors, it begins to slow down more and more, and it will malfunction more often as well.

1 Like

Ok. This drive is an ssd drive. 3-4 years old. Is that reasonable?

It should be by the averages. Like mileage on a car, it could be a quick general guide to start as but really- t4sting the disk is the only way to know its integrity.