Macbook pro 2011

I think it is possible.
Is OP using grub as a bootloader?

I asked since when I was running Hackintosh I was using Clover, not grub.

1 Like

I would actually go for the Reinstall, then try tackling this as a fresh start. You are correct to avoid it normally but...

• This is a fresh install anyway so no danger of lost personal files and
  • A reinstall may do more good than harm.
2 Likes

Then i would make 1 suggestion, please verify the iso before flashing.

2 Likes

Yup.
Good point!

1 Like

I am trying to "put some life" in this old laptop. Just reinstall and no mirror screen. Got message that hardware not supported. I guess, I have to get reading glasses. I did verify iso before flashing. Win10 works, but no sound. My next step will be try win7 and see if work. I will install on other hdd. Just doing experiments. As I said before - The Mint Cinnamon did display screen on external monitor, but will not display on main. Sims like every distros have some problems. That can be expected since is apple old laptop. Thanks all for attempting help me.

1 Like

@Aravisian
Do you think OP might have a better luck with MXLInux?

I did try mxlinux. would not even boot -few times, beside I am not to crazy about mxlinux. I have it installed on my desktop -too confusing. I will have dual boot Mint and Zorin.

What Graphics card does this Macbook have?

@Aravisian

2 Likes

See...
I just facepalmed... Because I have that portion of this thread open in another tab and was looking at it... When I posted that question.
:woozy_face:

1 Like

You're still a human being :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can you please post the terminal output of:

dmesg | grep -i amdgpu

Copy and paste... I understand that using the terminal is tricky with your display issue. I know of no easier way of using GUI method to get this information. Please be patient...
You also can post Screenshots.

Return nothing

hmm... So no error logs from booting the graphics card, then.

The drivers on this card were released in 2015. These really should be well integrated into the kernel...
Have you run any updates since installing?

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Did you install the Oibaf drivers that @Michel suggested?

I run the full upgrade. A lot of file downloaded and installed. Goes the Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_guc_49.0.1.bin for module i9
W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/dg1_dmc_ver2_02.bin for module i
message i got means enything?. I wander if the GPU in disable. I got this laptop from my daugther and she hed it servive- add memory to 16 Gig, It does have i7 slow 2G

This is probably harmless, just annoying. If you feel inspired to fix it:
(Edit: @Michel posted the link already)

Is this machine equipped with Intel and AMD radeon graphics?

When in Mint, I installed the vmplayer and win10. Win10 worked fine, but no graphic acceleration. Instakked win7 games and all worked fine,

Yes, If it is not disable then it beat the record working. Most of them burn out after 3-4 years and apple replace with the some board - junk

Is the any way to check if the gpu is disable?