Macbook Pro 2020 2 Thunderbolt 3 ports no audio

Well hello,

since my macbook is getting a bit slugish, I wanted to test if its the 6 years old Hardware, or a lack of optimisation from Apple to "encourage" me to buy a new M-Series Laptop.

Well - as the title says - I am stuck at getting the audio working. I only have the dummy output available. I already followed the T2 Help article, but that didnt solve the issue.

I got mouse, keyboard, Bluetooth and Wifi working so far, its really just the audio missing. Anyone an idea how I should continue from here?

Hi, I would take a look here:

https://9to5linux.com/how-to-fix-dummy-output-no-sound-issue-on-macbook-computers-running-linux

Found that too. Unfortunately I don’t even get that far. I only get an entry for the Intel Kabylake HDMI

Your Apple doesn't have an M-Chip, right?

1 Like

Hi. What are the results of

sudo lshw -C multimedia

It's an 8th Gen Intel i5 Macbook.

Here is the output

 *-multimedia              
       description: Multimedia audio controller
       product: Apple Audio Device
       vendor: Apple Inc.
       physical id: 0.3
       bus info: pci@0000:02:00.3
       version: 01
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=t2bce_audio latency=0
       resources: irq:0 memory:b0c00000-b0ffffff memory:b1180000-b11fffff memory:b1230000-b123ffff
  *-multimedia
       description: Audio device
       product: Cannon Point-LP High Definition Audio Controller
       vendor: Intel Corporation
       physical id: 1f.3
       bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3
       logical name: card1
       logical name: /dev/snd/controlC1
       logical name: /dev/snd/hwC1D2
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC1D3p
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC1D7p
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC1D8p
       version: 30
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=snd_hda_intel latency=64
       resources: iomemory:400-3ff irq:77 memory:91a10000-91a13fff memory:4000000000-40000fffff
  *-usb:1
       description: Video
       product: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
       vendor: Apple Inc.
       physical id: 2
       bus info: usb@5:2
       version: 2.01
       serial: CC20392E8YNJ3Y37F
       capabilities: usb-2.00
       configuration: driver=uvcvideo maxpower=500mA speed=480Mbit/s
  *-sound
       description: Audio
       physical id: 3
       logical name: card0
       logical name: /dev/snd/controlC0
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC0D1c
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC0D3c
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC0D4c
       logical name: /dev/snd/pcmC0D4p