Making it easier to adapt to Zorin Os

Hello:
I want to share a few thoughts regarding Zorin Os and its proposed transformation into a real option for Windows newcomers.
Overall it has taken a step forward thanks to the addition of the tour and the fact that the print drivers come already installed.
However, one of the things I still miss is the need to install proprietary drivers, along with Microsoft fonts, necessary for the proper functioning of the system. I say this because the suggestions always point to using the terminal. It would be very good if there was a section that briefly explained the importance of installing them and offered the possibility of doing it in a graphical way (similar to the software center) through a click. For a newcomer it can be frightening and counterproductive to have to face the terminal in such a short time.
I know an argument can be made that you can fall back to Synaptic, but I don't find it very user friendly for a Windows newcomer.
Regards

8 Likes

Thanks for this writing alexandros!
I changed the category from General help to Feedback.

1 Like

It's always good to hear honest and concise feedback from new adopters. Some of us who have been using Linux for a while need to be reminded of the valid issues that new comers face.

As you will (I hope) eventually discover, is that Terminal/CLI and Synaptic (while initially appearing difficult/foreign) are actually the faster and easier options for getting things done.

Unfortunately, I cannot speak to the printer/driver issues but I know this is an issue with many distros. I hope that you can get everything sorted and have some time to get comfortable with this OS. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Hello:
The reason for what I wrote, lies in putting yourself in the shoes of the novice user coming from Windows. I know that for someone who has been on this system for some time, as is my case, it does not bother from time to time to resort to the terminal to perform some basic actions, however it is not necessarily the same for a newcomer who is taking the first steps.
That said, I do not know why it is so complicated to implement a graphical and friendly way to install everything you need to start using the system. I myself used Synaptic for a while but quickly went back to the terminal.
In general the distributions that are presented as alternatives to Windows do not go much further than showing a desktop similar to Microsoft. Perhaps Linux Mint goes a step further since it has a little more established the graphical mode. I insist that for one who is trying to know Gnu Linux can be intimidating to have to face a few minutes later, with the terminal.
On the other hand, something that is often not emphasized enough is the hardware that is supported. At least in my case, I have found that Intel has great compatibility, as do AMD graphics cards. The same can be said for peripherals.
Regards

3 Likes

I understand where you’re coming from. Linux is like the Wild West. It offers a lot of opportunities along with a lot of obstacles. It can be a refreshing and positive experience while also being a pain in the butt :slightly_smiling_face:.

It’s a transition if one is willing to embrace it, and oftentimes a trial once one does.

2 Likes

In the latest episode of the LTT WAN Show, Linus actually covered this exact thing you spoke of. He mentioned that many Linux users are used to the terminal, so for many, its their go-to tool for everything. However, for a beginner, the terminal is enough to frighten them away from Linux.

What you may not be aware of, is Linus and Luke are doing a very fascinating, informative, and entertaining Linux challenge. Their opinions thus far jumping a bit ahead in their WAN show episodes, have been quite informative.

Just know that I completely agree with you 100%. I also used to be a Windows user, and I felt the same way you did when I jumped over to Linux. And even though I have been a Linux user for 6+ years, I still have the same opinion as you do.

While some Linux users managed to make the terminal king in their lives, I still have not. I don't have a programming mind, programmers will find the terminal extremely easy to use, cause its already in their wheel house, as you use terminal for programming.

But 99% of Linux users are not going to be programmers, thats the reality. So I of course value the opinions of beginners Linux users, over those who are seasoned Linux users, or Arch Linux users.

You want the real honest opinions about Linux? Well, then you get them from Linux newcomers, who are total beginners to Linux. I am going to post the link to my LTT Linux challenge thread, so that you can watch the first video, and also be updated on further episodes that I post in there.

Again, I want to thank you all heartedly for making this post Alexandros, your opnions and feedback are very much appreciate by me, and I want to make sure to acknowledge that. You are positively stellar! :star2:

@alexandros I'm a newcomer as well to Zorin and Linux. It is very very easy for someone less adapt to the Linux way with Zorin 16 to help me move from the M$ way that I've learned in the passed.

I realize that I'm not looking for another M$ look or feel speaking for myself. I also realize like a kid learning to ride a bike at some point my knees get nicks.

Point being I know that in order for Linux to work one must learn(and it's tough to change from the comforts of past) the system as I did M$. I'm nervous about terminal commands as well, but each time I try with the assistance of the GREAT group we have here it becomes easier.

Great thing is this is a door opening for ones new to Linux... comfort of old for the most part and some New and Exciting things to learn that work much better from our past experiences.

Hope you enjoy the learning of Linux like I am and share your thoughts more so I can grow from your outlook.

2 Likes

Hello:
First of all, I assume from your logo and nickname, that you are a fan, like me, of Star Trek.
I agree with what you say that everything requires a process of adaptation and learning. However, I get the impression that Gnu Linux as far as those distributions that are geared towards Windows newcomers are a bit stagnant. So I wonder if it is very difficult to implement a friendly graphical system to install all the proprietary drivers, and Microsofot sources, to make Gnu Linux work acceptably.
I remember that previously a co-worker had told me about Ubuntu and insisted so much that I decided to give it a try. However, at the time, I was not enthusiastic about it, and even less so when I was confronted with the terminal. At that time Windows gave me everything I needed.
On the other hand, basic linuxers like me, who do not intend to become experts but use this operating system as a means and not as an end, want simple answers to the problems that may arise, but, many times it happens that this is not possible and it is necessary to resort to the terminal to enter several lines of code. For example, I have problems with the sound drivers of my motherboard; in spite of all the attempts the problem still persists, although less and less (I suppose because of the various updates).
In summary, referring to the desktop, Gnu Linux will remain marginal as long as a total graphical transition is not made, leaving the terminal as an alternative tool.
Thanks for your words and the link. I will check it out.
Regards

Hello:
I agree with you that it is necessary to explore and investigate, but what about most of the people who do not belong to this group? I would venture to say that they want a system that works easily, without major hiccups. I don't see them entering code into a terminal. If the latter were the trend, the graphical mode would not have been implemented.
I have no programming knowledge, so I don't know if implementing the aforementioned system, which makes everything more user-friendly, is too complicated.
Thank you for your words.
Regards

2 Likes

If you have an Nvidia GPU, there is a GUI method. If you have AMD, its going to be more difficult, because it requires manual download and installation of said driver, and that is more like Windows then anything else actually if you think about it.

Like I said, if you have an Nvidia GPU, then it becomes easier then Windows, cause you don't have to hunt down the driver to manually install it. Nvidia GPU drivers will be found in the Additional Drivers APP Menu.

PS: Yes I am a big fan of Star Trek.

2 Likes

I remember my father said when I change OS a weeks ago. "New system, new learning."

Yeah, need to learn from scratch since it was different. As far I know, I'm just staring my second week after my distro hopping?

changing system for others isn't easy because they are used to that one. That is why my philosophy in this thing is never master any program/software/system/technology/(anything), rather get its concept. Easiest way to be able to adapt in any way.

When I started here, especially in AntiX where even installation of .deb are in terminal, all I do was research "how". Synaptic might not be user friendly though in my case, I love it. I don't know. Hahahhaa. When I'm in AntiX I try to read most of the packages in their, the installed, the uninstalled, the one under this kind of filter etc. Propriety drivers, I use intel so the problem with GPU drivers isn't my case. Though I have my own propriety driver and I just go to their site and download it.

Though depends on what distro you have, setting up your OS to your liking takes time (well this makes Linux, Linux.)

Lastly, Linux is an open source OS. Open source software usually hard for those who are used to propriety styles. For example, with GIMP. Is you are used to Photoshop, you will not easily learn GIMP. They are both Graphic Manipulator Program but what you can do with Photoshop, isn't that easy to do with GIMP.

I heard this to DT in youtube, "propriety supports propriety." That's why getting propriety pre installed in Linux is something, unless those company have an intention to fund Linux.

5 Likes

Funny, my husband only uses Synaptic and he loves it.
He is using MXLinux which is a spin-off of antiX.

3 Likes

I love Synaptic. But I admit that it was confusing and hard to figure out when I first began using it at @swarfendor437 's recommendation.
Once I learned it, it became user friendly and easy. But that first use of it is not so user-friendly.
I do not have good recommendations on how to fix that, other than if the first usage of Synaptic came with Pop Up Prompts like a guided tour that teaches you how to use it.

4 Likes

This is where KDE supersedes Gnome. I cheated having Windows on another drive I just copied the fonts I needed for work onto a thumb drive then used KDE Font Manager - so much simpler than having to take ownership of Fonts in order to copy and paste a font into the Fonts folder.

I think the focus of the discussion is being lost.
It is obvious that starting with a new operating system requires new learning. However, we are talking about Zorin Os, a distribution whose cover letter is to be an alternative so that those who come from Windows can easily enter the world of Gnu Linux. Under this prism the environment should be as friendly and familiar as possible. As long as this is not understood, Gnu Linux will not ostensibly improve its meager share (2%) on the desktop.
Greetings.

I edited your post to add "," as previously said "The reason for what I wrote lies" I dont think you meant to admit to writing lies or untruths. :wink: Hope you don't mind.

3 Likes

How familiar are we talking here?
The key point is "easily enter the world of Linux" - If it is so familiar and friendly as to be a Windows Clone, then no one would feel the pressure to learn and enter the world of Linux.
I would opine that Zorin OS fulfills it's desire to allow easy entry into Linux, without being a Windows clone.
This may mean that in learning, it is not always too easy.

As It Should Be.

There is a big difference between making something "easy" and making something 'do for you' to the point that you don't have to think.
And once we lose that much control over the system, then we are Right Back to Microsoft.
With less driver support.

Humans naturally are inclined to want things to be easy and nature is naturally inclined to pressure us to have to step up to survive. Without pressure, our teeth weaken. Without pressure, our muscles soften and our fat reserves grow.
Without pressure, our hearts give out.

Sometimes in life, we need the thing we don't want.

6 Likes

I think coming from Windows, ZorinOS is a good lead-in to Linux Desktop, as the design and layout is not immediately alien and offputting to a new Windows refugee.

Where things go wrong here on the forum, is where a user expects exact Windows look, feel and fuctionality and being able to download and run Windows apps etc. i.e. expectation of a "Windows Clone" like you said.

As long as ZorinOS is intuitive, logical and performs well without scaring non-technical long term Windows users, I'm happy.

4 Likes

There are users that have been using Zorin OS for the past year... finally run into trouble... get on here on the forum and they cannot tell us if they have Core Or Lite.
They have no idea.

At that point, we have gone wrong.

1 Like

Emphasis added

I think Zorin does a great job of making Linux easy and accessible to new comers. It is, after all, a different OS from Windows which means that there will be (for lack of a better term) a difference in your experience with it. But Zorin handles this introduction very well.

Attempt to install another distribution such Debian, Arch, Gentoo for instance, and it will become immediately apparent how user friendly Zorin really is.

Switching to another OS is similar to switching jobs with another company. You can't go into it telling your new boss that you did things differently at your last job and that you are unwilling to accept how things are done at your new position.

It seems to me that the real issue isn't so much how 'easy' Zorin is to use, but how 'identical' it is with something such as Windows. And Zorin never claimed to be identical with them.

5 Likes