Making Zorin OS look like macOS (Big Sur and above)

This tutorial will show you how to make Zorin OS look like macOS 11.0 (Big Sur) and above. Like in this result:

WhiteSur-icon-theme
WhiteSur-gtk-theme
McMojave-cursors
San Francisco Pro Display / San Francisco Mono (for apps with mono text, like Terminal)
Blur My Shell extension

Before starting:

• You need to have Zorin OS Pro and the macOS style enabled.

Click on the downloaded font, and click the Install button. Do note that not every font you click the Install button with will show it's installed. It is, but this is a normal thing.
  1. Icon Pack
  • When you open the extracted folder, right click on the empty space and select Open in Terminal, then enter this code:
./install.sh

You could also install colored and alternative versions, like:

./install.sh -t all

or

./install.sh -a

(to install both, just use ./install.sh -a -t all)

After you are done, go to Zorin Appearance > Theme > Other and then click on the empty bar beside Icons, and select WhiteSur or WhiteSur-theme.

1. GTK Theme
  • Follow the same first step, but if you want to install it for multiple colors, use this command:
./install.sh -t all

You can also use this command to install a theme for Firefox, to which it will look like Safari:

./tweaks.sh -f

( add default, monterey or alt at the end)

• Same step, but you may need GNOME Tweaks for this. To install GNOME Tweaks, type this in Terminal:
sudo apt install gnome-tweaks -y

When installed, it's located in the Utilities folder.

Open the Tweaks app, and then go to Appearance, click the Cursor bar, and select "McMojave-cursors".

1. Blur My Shell
  • Install Extension Manager by typing this in the Terminal:
sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-manager -y
  • Open Extension Manager and click Browse.
  • Search for Blur My Shell and click on the Install button adjacent to that extension.
  1. (Optional) Floating rounded theme
  • In Zorin Appearance, go to Interface and then click the gear icon adjacent to Dash Settings

Then, go to Appearance (again) and enable Floating rounded theme.

• If you want, finish off with an authentic wallpaper from macOS Big Sur or above or any Mac from 2020 or later.

Example (wallpaper taken from M3 MacBook Pro (wallpaper name)):

Now, do note this guide can be out-of-date, because Apple may add more visual effects to macOS in the future. But if you just want the look and feel of a Mac, I think this guide helps you get the cake (not literally).

Links:
WhiteSur GTK
WhiteSur Icon Pack
McMojave Cursors
SF Mono
SF Pro Display

UPDATE: It is possible to get a macOS layout on the Core version, according to @PlumpKibbles. Getting the layout means installing sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-dash, I guess. Thanks for pointing that out.

8 Likes

Maybe it could be good to set Links to the Stuff that is needed to customize it.

1 Like

Okay. I will edit the forum with the links.

1 Like

Not just Pro! :wink: That's my 17 Core Mac-ish layout. Did have to get the shell for application windows and effects here. Pretty lite 'install' work - with Core, will need to install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-dash and enable with Extensions, also enable Magic Lamp minimize / maximize effects.

Will have to say... Zorin has been the best one to throw a Mac theme on and it actually look like Mac! :sunglasses:

1 Like

I will have to (again) update the guide. How exactly to you install this extension?

You can find it in Synaptic or install it in the Terminal with sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-dash

2 Likes

its unsupported in gnome 43 which is the default for zorin 17. Is there a way to install it in gnome 43?

Should be, I'm using Zorin 17 Core myself - not sure with 16.x..

Yep, @Ponce-De-Leon got it :+1: - just a quick terminal command; or Synaptic, whichever you like.

@GolfBallFromBeefyDie that extension is installed by default with Pro - the shell can be installed like icons in /home/user/.local/share/themes - but, I usually place them in /usr/share/icons or /usr/share/themes so all users can set the themes / icons and not have to copy anything :grin:

1 Like

I see...
Well, guess I'll remove the Pro label.

1 Like

Where is that? I didn't install anything from a GUI - I just extracted the downloaded icons and such, then installed gnome-shell-extension-zorin-dash with apt through terminal.. Not too sure where that is; is that the Gnome shell extensions site?

Screenshot from 2024-03-12 15-23-37

In action:

Just to show, not trying to hoo-doo anyone haha.. But is installed (via terminal) with Z 17.1 Core:

I have had this theme and all with the dash since 17 dropped though..

1 Like

I see on Your last Picture that You are using X11. Maybe the Zorin Dash only works on X11.

I have actually used Wayland as well :sweat_smile: .. More stable on X though. But, no issues with the dash. I think gaming is better with X - emulation, using xemu for Xbox games.

Try installing it from the terminal with sudo apt install gnome-shell-extension-zorin-dash and see if any errors are returned..

1 Like