Malformed entry/ source list error

Hello,

I’m very new to linux and basically clueless. I'm having issues using the terminal now, as I was trying to download wine to install itunes. When I try to use the terminal it has the error message 'Malformed entry 58 in list file /etc/apt/sources.list (Component)' and 'The list of sources could not be read.'

An error message also comes up on the task bar from zorin which says that this error message usually means that your installed packages have unmet dependencies.

The commands I ran in the terminal before it stopped working and I got this error message were:

wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key

then:

sudo apt-key add winehq.key

then:

sudo apt-add-respository 'deb Index of /wine-builds/ubuntu bionic main'

I was following instructions from kirelos.com/how-to-install-and-use-itunes-on-ubuntu

What should I do?

1 Like

What version of Zorin are you using? Zorin OS 15.3 or Zorin OS 16?

You don't need to add a PPA, enter the commands below:

$ sudo apt install wine ←(Installs Wine)
$ sudo apt install winetricks ←(Installs Winetricks - this is optional)

2 Likes

Os 16

I can't run either of these commands in the terminal right now due to the error message I'm getting, but i'll try this if I can get my original issue fixed, thank you

The instructions you are following would apply to Zorin OS 15.3, but not to Zorin OS 16.

A quick explanation: You may notice that the instructions refer to Bionic.
Ubuntu 18.04 is Bionic Beaver.

Ubuntu 20.04 is Focal Fossa (Yep. Linux devs have a sense of humor).

Zorin OS 15 is based on Ubuntu 18.04 and Zorin OS 16 is based on Ubuntu 20.04.

For future reference, when looking for guides, search with "Ubuntu 20.04" and you should be fine. Or, just ask here on the forum.

Let's remove the malformed entry:
Open the Zorin Menu and type in Software & Updates. It should show that application listed. Open it and move to the Second Tab Other Software.
In this tab, scroll down the list and look for the Wine-Builds Entry. Click on it to select it, then click the Remove Button on the bottom toolbar.
Close Software & Updates (Say yes when it asks to reload).

Now, in terminal, enter

sudo apt install zorin-windows-app-support

This will install Wine.
:slight_smile:

Alternatively, if you already have downloaded the iTunes.exe file, you can just double click it to launch the automated Zorin App Support installer that will install Wine.

4 Likes

Thank you so so much! This worked :blush:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.