Maui Shell seems like a very interesting KDE graphical environment

In the mood to try a new desktop shell? Well, the folks behind Nitrux have formally announced Maui Shell and it sure does look pretty.

A desktop environment with an aim to scale and look good across a wide range of different devices including mobiles, tables and desktop computers. They said the aim is to have "no need for multiple versions targeting different form factors" and it's seriously slick. Worth noting at this point, it is far from finished with plenty of missing features. The developers have announced it to get some early testing and feedback.

Built on top of KDE tech, it's comprised of two main parts:

• Cask is the shell container and elements templates, such as panels, popups, cards, etc.
  • Zpace is the composer, which is the layout and places the windows or surfaces into the Cask container.

Their current roadmap aims for a stable 1.0.0 release in September, followed by the next major version in December.

See more in their blog post and find it on GitHub. The latest release of Nitrux (v1.8.0) includes a preview of Maui Shell.

You can see a brief preview of the normal desktop mode below:

YouTube Thumbnail

2 Likes

Yummy, I like cookies! :cookie: but not the cookies from google or m$

1 Like

Is this still relevant? as in is this shell still in progress?

It can be downloaded as appimage

2 Likes

The GitHub repo looks active, recent updates made 8 days ago. You can try it by running Nitrux as well, looks like a fine distribution putting some work into this new desktop.

3 Likes

I'm looking at this with some interest but may wait until it is a bit more stable .... as far as I can determine it is not Plasma right ???? ....

I wonder if it will try to take over all your other DE setting as Plasma did ..... or at least for me it did .....

Thanks Michel .....

1 Like

The official Nitrux site says it's built on KDE Plasma. More specifically "it's a customization layer for Plasma 5".

I would love to try this but I'm still trying to figure out whether I'll try Fedora Silverblue (since I'm already using Fedora) or make a move towards openSUSE. I'll just add it to the list of distributions to try out next year :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well I did install and try it out but for me the results were not so spectacular .... everything is sideways and the settings option doesn't open .... most everything else looks OK ....

No big deal I'll just play with it awhile and do some research for problems .... if worse comes to worse I'll just wait for a more stable version ....

Sorry for the lousy camera photos this cell phone camera sucks .... when I get enough saved up I'll buy 2 different ones .... the Mrs doesn't like hers either ....

Turn the screen 90 degrees and you good to go.

2 Likes

Thanks but I can't get the settings screen to open .... I click on it and it does nothing ..... but I'll keep trying .....

yup exact same happened to me last night i was less then impressed lol

1 Like

Thank god I thought I'd gone over the edge .....

I think Storm meant "physically turn screen 90 degrees". Alternative would be to lay down to look at it as is. :clown_face:

2 Likes

Aye, tilt the screen :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Just go with the flow.

2 Likes

Downloading Nitrux to test it in VM.

1 Like

That went well ... or something ...

1 Like

tables needs changing to tablets. :wink:

I have this problem too!

1 Like

Yea I wish they would solve this problem it looks like a really interesting DE ..... I haven't tried it recently but I'm sure it is still the same .... I assume you just tried it ....