Maybe bug, maybe not?

So, maximizing terminal window, works fine - the issue is when I restore the window, it gets smaller (than the 80x24 default). And if I maximize again and restore, it get's even smaller! Wild.. here's some screenshots:

Okay so that's just on opening - here's the maximize and result:

Then:

And after another maximize:

It'll eventually just be a title bar if I keep going :laughing:

Just something I've noticed; not sure if anyone else has experienced that or not.

2 Likes

Try setting a default window size by clicking the '3 horizontal lines' button at top-right, clicking 'Preferences', going to the 'Default' side-tab (under 'Profiles'), then setting 'Initial Terminal Size' (both height (rows) and width (columns)).

If that doesn't fix it, I'm stumped.

It's not about the window size - as terminal is set default to 80x24. If I close the window, open a new instance - back to 80x24.

It should be going back to the size before maximizing (or click-drag resizing), or the default 80x24. Firefox, Cura, nautilus, Settings, etc. don't exhibit this - I thought it was kind of funny :laughing: just the shrinking part..

But, only terminal exhibits the shrinking. Nothing else shrinks when restored from maximized.

Here's a video: Screencast from 2023-12-28 18-54-17.webm - Google Drive - terminal maximized and restored vs Sys Monitor.

Present:

Four years ago:

Shy of 10 years ago:

Gnome.
:expressionless:

1 Like

So, that's odd - I'm using Wayland now - and it doesn't shrink :thinking:

I did, however, notice: with Wayland - everything is a little.. snappier than without Wayland. I've not been using Wayland - and it was kind of laggy :grimacing: (Zorin17 Core)

I may try using Wayland for a while and see what happens. I don't have a touch screen, technically - my touch pad is a little screen.. But, main screen is non-touch.

Why would Wayland be snappier / more responsive? It 'feels' more like 16.3 now - really smooth.

Zorin OS should not lag without Wayland and should feel as snappy as 16.3 (which was not on Wayland unless the user changed it).

However, Wayland is more snappy in general. Wayland operates on the principle of communicating directly with the kernel and compositing, rather than having an X Window server act as the go-between. This equates to snappier performance with more direct communication. Wayland can resolve screen tearing issues.
Which, in principle, sounds great.

What puts people off of Wayland is that many apps do break on Wayland.
Nvidia notoriously has great difficulties with Wayland.
Applications don’t prompt to save unsaved work. Wayland lacks a means of session restore.
Gamma support is lacking.
Drag and drop function can be finicky or require a key modifier.
If Waylands compositor crashes, all gtk apps are terminated, resulting in data loss.
Sticky Keys are notorious on Wayland, either lacking options or having broken options.

Wayland has been a "work in progress" for over a decade with little headway. In spite of its promises, it has little to show for any progress. The problems that seem difficult to solve outweigh any snappiness, especially for users on an SSD with a snappy CPU.
Due to the financial and time investment into Wayland; it feels like Wayland is being forced now, onto the users, in spite of it being promising, but unfullfilling, breaking many apps and having issues that render it useless for many users desktops entirely.

Gotcha - makes sense :+1:

I don't remember seeing a switcher for 16.3; Wayland or X.. Probably never noticed it lol

I'll keep an eye on it though - using Nvidia, as always :smirk: I did see I don't have the option for 120fps on my display settings in Z17; only 60fps. In 16.3 I could set 120fps. Different than with Windows, only 60fps from that, too.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.