Message in logs IMPORTANT - "systemd: Excess arguments"

Greetings all,
Zorin version 16.2 lite, a fresh install.
The laptop is Acer Aspire 5738Z Pentium T4200, 4GB, 500GB hard drive (mechanical drive).

The only change of note was to "disable online networkmanager wait online.service" as explained by AdarshMeher on this forum, which got my boot time from 4 minutes plus to under two minutes.

How important is an important entry in the log file? - there are three others as well:
09:54:38 systemd: Failed to start Sound Service.
1 Jan 14:13:25 pulseaudio: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
1 Jan 14:13:11 lightdm: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
1 Jan 14:13:00 systemd: Excess arguments.

I have googled and found nothing that I can understand.

Can anyone offer any help or advice (beyond getting a newer laptop :wink:

Regards,

Johnh510

1 Like

Don't know if this helps or hinders:

Glad I am using a system that is not systemd dependent! :wink:

1 Like

I checked yours on my Logs:

systemd: Failed to start Sound Service. :point_right: None.

pulseaudio: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms) :point_right: I found some similar.

lightdm: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file :point_right: None from lightdm, only from gkr-pam.

systemd: Excess arguments. :point_right: None.

Me, too, I just searched your last 2 and closed the tab 2 seconds later :sweat_smile:. I think that unless your audio doesn't work at all you can ignore audio logs if you can really hear any audio, then you should see a log saying pulseaudio.socket: Succeeded., looks like audio service fails to load on boot but then works. lightdm and systemd logs looks more serious.

The first two might be initializing prior to the session loading and other dependencies being accessed, then they restart. As long as you have sound and Bluetooth, i wouldn't worry about it. Same with the lightdm gkr-pam, accessing a daemon (service) that hasn't started yet (symbolic link missing?)?! Since you are getting the lockscreen to log in, i wouldn't give it to much credence either (that is lightdm working).

1 Like

Thank you all for your comments.

I think I'll ignore the "important" entrys in the logs for now as everything I've needed so far works - sound is OK.
Bluetooth doesn't, but I can live without it on this laptop.

The issue with systemd intrigues me a little and I try and find out a bit more about it - first impressions are that "the mother of all processes" is a beast, and may be beyond me.
If I find anything usefull I'll post back here.

Regards,

Johnh510

P.S.
putting

journalctl

into a terminal window appears to provide ALL the logging in the system. 55k lines into my week old system to get to the most recent boot showed:

Which may indicate the bluetooth stuff is the cause.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.