Micro$oft πŸ€‘ Windows πŸ’Έ

Meanwhile I'm stuck to Windows due to the software I need to get my job done :frowning:
To overcome some of those shortcomings pointed out in this thread, I am advocating a VM Windows.

5 Likes

I'm a victim here. Damn. I can;t forget that only 3 file manager open but my system doesn't work. Think of resetting but cannot be done already? I said "Its time to switch to Linux."

Yeah. And if you want to completely remove it, go to registry one by one. Windows experience....

Others stick with Windows, though, because of work related. Example: for creating manga, this is just minimal work, clip studio paint is well known for this but linux doesn't have its version. Krita might do but its not for manga. I mean, clip studio paint is created for Manga (Manga Studio is its first name). 3D artist have Blender but when it comes to working as professional, 3DS Max and other propriety are the ones that is been looking for. Going to simple administrative tasks, I don't know for other countries but here, Excel, Word and Powerpoint is a must. (Though as far as I know, Canva replacing Powerpoint so...)

I also have software here solely for Windows, Clip studio paint. And I paid for it. hahahahhaha. The thing is even using something like wine or installation support for windows application by Zorin, it didn't install. I guess the heaviness of it can't stay in virtual. hahahhahahha

6 Likes

I see you are on the same boat I am on :ship:

I am thinking of writing a tutorial for VM Windows.
It seems not many people on this forum are aware of its convenience.

4 Likes

I beg to differ.
https://www.deviantart.com/deevad/art/Making-of-episode-23-702593424
Pepper and Carrot is my favourite comic made with Krita and Inkscape.

3 Likes

Yeah, you can do it with Krita. But like I said, it doesn;t have the "manga features." I mean with it, the favorite of many, "manga perspective", brush set exclusive for manga, those patterns for manga etc. that is solely for manga. Well, artist can create it to Krita on their own, though added time. That's why Jump Manga of Medibang, Clipstudio Paint (former Manga Studio), Firealpaca and the likes are there so you will not think of that much. Vice versa, its hard to create digital painting to those softwares cause their focus is manga unlike with Krita, Ibis Paint and the likes. Inkscape like Illustrator is a vector graphic tool. Yes, you can create comics there, even you can create realistic portrait painting there, but it takes an effort.

5 Likes

Ah, I see.You are talking about the ease of use.
This comic writer uses Inkscape along side with Krita - for a good reason I suppose.

4 Likes

Yup. There are artists who do that. Before when I'm still a layout artist, I even use illustrator along with Photoshop to achieve better result, since most clients of my previous work are from the upper class. They need that kind of sophisticated style. Artists can do whatever style they want, choose whatever software since at the end of the day deadline and output are the important factor.

At some point maybe using Krita alongside with Inkscape is faster to that artist instead of using something like Clip Studio, especially if he/she isn't familiar with its shortcuts. In other words, still own preferences. :grin:

Well, i can easily adapt to anything. This isn't a problem much to me after all. hahaahahah

5 Likes

Besides the cost of Krita (zero) is no comparison to that of Photoshop. Good reason to be adaptive.

5 Likes

I still using W7 because have cool EULA. System is ok but safety it depends what you install inside. Corporation inside a system can tracking anything. Old military a computers still using windows 95. So where is the point if old operating systems working on military or NASA? Here in my country the offices using Windows 98 with administration lan.

3 Likes

Oops.
They did not learn anything from that IE fiasco in Europe?

7 Likes

I can't wait for micropo$oft to die as a company. Good post FrenchPress.

4 Likes

Reading this:

Microsoft’s upcoming release of Windows 11 will make it even harder to switch default browsers and ignores browser defaults in new areas of the operating system. While Microsoft is making many positive changes to the Windows 11 UI, the default apps experience is a step back and browser competitors like Mozilla, Opera, and Vivaldi are concerned.

It sounds exactly like Gnome.

6 Likes

I started to wonder if MS has some sleeper cells planted in the GNOME developer team.

9 Likes

Maybe.
I think what it comes down to, though, is Like-Thinks-like-Like.

When your goal is to dominate and monopolize the Money... These are the shown behaviors. Whether it is a Robber Baron or a Politician, Microsoft, Apple or Gnome.

5 Likes

Anti-trust lawsuit version 100000! :rofl:

2 Likes

Well in gnome i can switch easy between browsers @Aravisian :joy:.

Microsoft did not learn at all in the past. Hope the eu will sue them again but i think that wont happen. Otherwise they would have sued them long time ago with the telemetry in Windows 7/10 and 11.

1 Like

But you cannot switch out your panel settings or applets, at least not without a gnome-extension that has a high probability of breaking something.
On Gnome you cannot adjust Window Borders because they do not exist.
Or the Toolbar. Or the Menubar. Or countless other functions Gnome Removed entirely.
With the advent of Gnome 40, you cannot even switch out your system theme. Much less easily.
Gnome is More Controlling than Microsoft is.

And when you read articles from Tech Sites about Gnome, they like to focus on the "Positive" changes while sweeping all the removals under the rug.
They love to ignore what Gnome Takes Away from the users.

If I had a choice between Microsoft Windows and Gnome - I would take Microsoft Windows. At least Microsoft Registers users complaints and comments. Gnome ignores them or even tells the user off.

4 Likes

When I initially read your comment, I must admit that I felt a little cringe :blush:. But after stepping back a moment and looking at your argument, I do see something larger (and a bit more concerning) than just a Windows vs. GNU choice.

With Windows, most people know what they are getting into especially as it concerns individual privacy, freedom of choice and security. Yet, Gnome, which was the initial GNU DE, seems to be moving in a direction that, at the present, isn't all too clear about where they are exactly heading or what their objective really is. One thing that seems to be certain right now is their desire to limit user control and creativity - which is against everything the FOSS movement was created for.

Personally, I'm more concerned about Gnome headed down a closed and user abandoned road than Microsoft continuing to play the same game they have been playing. The point you make is much clearer now.

4 Likes

Exactly.

Like Chrome Browser, I know how to unGoogle it.

As an old time hacker, I know a great deal about how to unMicrosoft Windows OS. Much of the actual infrastructure is there... The Tools are there... It's just that most people don't know how to use them.

But I do not have any way of unGnoming Gnome. The infrastructure has been systematically removed. The tools have been slimmed down.

4 Likes

Proudly, I've never login to my online MS account for all those years :nerd_face:

4 Likes