Microsoft Windows 11 vs Zorin OS

You've not seen the science forums I usually haunt. Much less the Wrenching (Mechanic) forums where things can get... quite rowdy... Especially if I bring up the Snap On Tools sneakily using Chinese made Tools, marking them as 'Made In USA' and the lawsuit that followed it. :smiley: Since many of those forum members are Snap On Sales reps, they get... Upset.
LOL

3 Likes

Well, I've already said this: it is an "imprinting" effect and it is NOT chronologically correct. I have never claimed that "the folks" (including myself) is right.

Ah, that is a very interesting titbits.
You seem to be very well informed and know all ins and outs of Microsoft.

I hope you can continue sharing your in depth knowledge about Microsoft and their products. Apart from the Zoring developers, we are mostly "general public who did not pay much attention" for all those moves made by Microsoft.

1 Like

I hope you are talking about uncanny UI similarity between Win11 and Zorin, not about my birthday :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Including the ones in the back of the head :grinning:

2 Likes

I still swear to this.

c64_startup_animiert

1 Like

You mean this?!

external-content.duckduckgo.com

2 Likes

Just updated my circa 2014 Aspire to Windows 11 build 22000.71.
I am sure many people disagree, but I really like the new dark theme.

Actually I am curious how this reviewer managed to have toolbar items set to the left side like Win10. I thought MS disabled this registry hack while ago.

Thanks for this info!
I did not know about this site. It is easier than registry hack for sure.

It seems I still maintain that youthful spirit for over half century :crazy_face:

You can easily dual boot Zorin and Windows 11 on the same machine. That is how I am running my testing laptop.
And just in case, your test machine is one of those unsupported ones, you know where to look for the solution :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

As for Windows 11, every update brings quite a number of changes and it is too early to say anything indefinite.

Yes, it works exactly like a regular Windows update.
The only thing I did was disabling Windows Insider account, which detects my unsupported system and blocks update.

1 Like

It was upgrade install from licenced Windows 10. It seems licence was not deactivated during the upgrade. My tutorial covers both in-place upgrade and clean install (for unsupported system).

1 Like

I don't know about anyone else, and i don't use Mac much so forgive me if I'm wrong, but it seems windows is stealing again from Mac with the ui. Linux has been doing it for years from either major os, but this is the first time in a long time ms has done a copy.

You can't tell me win11 doesn't look more mac like.

1 Like

It may just be a matter of trends.
Android did it first.
Or was it iPhone?

A bit of a techno-marvel, everyone began walking around with a small computer in their pocket. Due to Size restrictions and a lack of viable handheld interface hardware (Mouse, Keyboard) the UI on these portable devices had to be made differently.
It evolved.
While it was doing that, many people began relying on Desktop less and less.

Gnome is 100% gung ho to emulate this.

The problem is; the desktop is still a desktop. Trying to emulate a hand held portable device on a hardware supported desktop is absurd.
But my own opinion is that everyone is rushing to be "trendy" - so again, it makes sense that they would begin looking alike. It makes sense that those changes in UI appearance would be staggered.

EDIT: This post kept getting flagged for Moderator Approval. That is the fifth post to do this in the last couple of weeks. Either my wording style is getting awful -or the forum is really restrictive. I'm honestly getting pretty tired of having post after post sent to the Moderator Queue and having most topics I start flagged as "Too similar to some other existing post."
Discourse really needs to Lighten Up.
Edit2: I found what was causing it: Gung Ho. Apparently Ho is a "bad word." Don't tell Santa.

The auto moderator is a bit trigger happy. It shoots first, then asks questions. I feel like it should be the other way around. I thought that one point of the forum rankings (Regular, Leader, etc.) was that the auto moderator won't be so harsh on them.

1 Like

Your observation seems to be quite right. While it is possible to use landscape orientation, Android apps in general meant to be used in vertical orientation.

1 Like

I know this one very well :slight_smile:
I am authoring website in Wordpress and all templates detect the resolution/orientation of the display and automatically switch itself for PC/tablet/mobile displays. it is quite impressive to see the seamless transformation of pages in the preview mode.

1 Like

Before I bite the bullet and switched to WordPress, I used to
create sites with a text editor and a HTML viewer. On the surface, it seems very simple, but quickly becomes complicated to incorporate tables/columns multimedia content embeddings. There still are static page authoring tools but they are now minority.

It must be my nature but I did not like the idea of using WordPress as a black box. I started from installing LAMP on raspberry Pi to setup a local WordPress server. I know it is a bit of detour but I do believe such knowledge comes handy in a long run.

I'm really shocked how no one has talked how much worse the start menu in the middle is in comparison to the regular start menu in the corner. It is so bad for productivity. I'd say any person... even a blind person can hit the start menu in Win10/Win7 every time without missing a single time, instinctively, and quickly. But when the start menu is in the middle, people will be missing, opening another application by mistake, not hitting the button at all, etc.
When the start menu is in the corner opening it is incredibly easy. A flick of the wrist and tadaa. The start menu is the main application launcher and imo it's a very big deal when they kneecap the user experience like this.
Jesus, how can they be so terrible at designing a GOOD UI/UX. I'm not even picky but its shameful to see a company as big MS creates such big BS.
This stupid UI design is only viable for touch interfaces not a mouse... yuck.

3 Likes

I juts found this posting on OMG Ubuntu site:

Is it not what we say ?
We all want to have what we don't.

When I went to Sweden for the first time, I was very amused to see so many women there dye their hair black while Japanese women including myself bleach our hair blond :rofl:

Do you think so?
When I was running macOS on PC, I did not find it too difficult to accustomed to it. Then again.. I might be too flexible :wink:

In any case thanks to the information provided by @tomscharbach, it is quite easy to change the orientation of tool bar items. Microsoft Windows 11 vs Zorin OS - #32