Microsoft Windows 11 vs Zorin OS

yes, i'm from hispanish, dominican Republick. :grin: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

This may be true... but there is always the windows key instead of mouse navigation, and keyboard navigation is much quicker. I use the win + x combo constantly rather than the start menu, which still seems uneededly cluttered. At least zorin opens to categories and is easy to find things.... cinnamon makes that even better, not needing too click on the category, just opens it on hover. Windows i never use the start menu... explorer, desktop shortcuts or win x.... anything else isn't worth the time.

2 Likes

You are absolutely right.
I completely forgot to mention about this "Win" key option.

What about Haiku OS vs Zorin 16.

It is open source and actively developed, a big advantage over now discontinued Temple OS. I have been following it and testing it out (on VM) time to time.

1 Like

Not wishing to be a spoil-sport or anything, but a reminder that subject of this thread is:
Microsoft Windows 11 vs Zorin OS

Maybe best to spin off a separate thread to discuss AnyOtherOS v ZorinOS ?

1 Like

Ah, sorry, I did not realize we are deviating so much from the original subject.

It would be great if you can split the thread.
Apart from Linux I also play around other OSs such as macOS, RiscOS and freeBSD. I would love to hear the experience of other people on this forum.

1 Like

Looks like it has been split and new thread started here:

1 Like

Thank you!
I will check this new thread :slight_smile:

That was for Temple OS - a Haiku OS vs Zorin can also be started... if so - all these posts may be cleaner deleted rather than moved...

1 Like

I am happy to read about comparison between Temple OS and Zorin OS. We are already too busy helping other people here. I can save this Haiku OS question for the rainy day :wink:

1 Like

Ah, thanks for this tip.
I've never thought of that.

BTW, here is a very interesting review on UI of Windows 11 at Register - my other favourite IT news site.

While I am not in any rush to use Win11 for any serious purpose at the moment, it is nevertheless still interesting to follow its evolution.

I'm following Win11, too, although most of the media articles I've read are more gush than substance. Thanks for pointing out The Register.

I've decided over the past week that I am going adopt Win11 in 9-12 months. But that presents an issue because I support about two dozen Win10 installations, at least half of which won't be moving to Windows 11, so I'll need to continue to stay current with Windows 10, too, for several years.

I'm not flush with computers (Win10 production Dell Optiplex 7080 desktop, Win10 production Dell Latitude 7390 laptop, Win10 production Dell Inspiron 11-3180 that I use at the museum, Solus production Dell Optiplex 7070 desktop, and a testbox Dell Optiplex 7060 currently running Zorin 16).

I guess I'll move the 7080 and the 7390 to Win11, keep the 11-3180 on Win10, keep Solus on the 7070, and continue to use the 7060 as a testbox.

The current situation reminds reminds me of the old curse "May you live in interesting times." Yuk.

I see it more as an opportunity to keep myself out of going to senile :wink:

I crossed that bridge long ago, says my husband. :crazy_face:

1 Like

You would appreciate Register, especially if you like British sense of humour. I especially like BOFH (b a s t a r d operator from hell) series.

Ah, your husband might share the same opinion as mine :rofl:

Joke aside, I found this article just today:

Practicality aside, it is impressive to see Windows 11 running on mobile phone as well as on Raspberry Pi.

This just confirmed one more time that this hardware restriction by Win 11 is not absolute but more on the arbitrary side.

The interesting sentence from the linked article is this: "As for how it works, the current Windows Insider Dev Channel builds do not yet enforce Microsoft's hardware rules so there is every chance things will stop working once the final incarnation of the Arm version of Windows 11 drops."

As the article notes, Microsoft has been clear that it is not (and will not be) enforcing hardware requirements prior to release:

"While we recommend that all PCs meet the full hardware requirements for Windows 11, we are allowing some limited exceptions as we apply these new restrictions. All Windows Insiders who have already been installing builds from the Dev Channel on their PCs up through June 24, 2021 will be allowed to continue installing Windows 11 Insider Preview builds even if their PC does not meet the minimum hardware requirements. Insiders with PCs already in the Dev Channel have been installing and giving feedback on builds with Windows 11 features since last year. Our way of saying thanks is to go ahead and give them the opportunity to see everything come together. ... Once Windows 11 is generally available, these PCs will be opted out of flighting and will not be able to receive future Windows 11 Insider Preview builds. These PCs must clean install back to Windows 10 with the media (ISOs) that we provide and can then join the Release Preview Channel to preview Windows 10 updates."

But as the sentence from the article also notes, that fact does not suggest that Microsoft won't enforce those hardware requirements in the release version; in fact, the Microsoft statement quoted above (and just about everything else I've been learning from reading Microsoft documents and following what Microsoft is doing, such as the recent launch of Windows 365 and documents marketing that product to enterprise/business customers as an alternative to hardware refresh) suggests that Microsoft will enforce hardware requirements in the release version.

The question of whether or not the hardware requirements (TPM, SecureBoot, CPU generation) are arbitrary (in the sense of capricious), it seems to me, hinges on whether Microsoft is going to deploy hardware-enabled security tools within Windows 11, so that Windows 11 runs crippled unless the security tools are supported by the hardware on which Windows 11 is installed. If Microsoft intends to implement technologies and services requiring the hardware-enabled security tools going forward, then the hardware requirements are not capricious. Time will tell.

I keep waiting for the media (well, media other than The Onion) to report that someone has installed Windows 11 on a ham sandwich.

1 Like