Modern mini PC?

I seeing on market mini pc with ram from laptop and ssd nvme 256GB. 300W and cpu Ryzen 5 4600G
I am wondering it is really gaming pc or office pc?
Technology go to mini components hardware?
Here example

I am little confuse. Then components hardware for laptop using now to station desktop pc? Where is the place for big graphic cards?

Changed from General to Chat.

1 Like

I am not sure about that Bourne. Anytime anyone in the tech media industry talk about mini computers, they are always talking about those little nuc's. There was a time when those larger micro computers were relevant, but not today, at least not in our country. Nuc's have replaced the old standard for micro ATX.

But the problem with them, have always been cooling. You can only cram so much in a tight little space, and eventually heat will become your enemy. At the end of the day, your better off building a full sized desktop computer, or just buying a notebook.

1 Like

One person where live in this house also bought that and wondering it will be ddr4 with normal size. I don't know where it comes that technology are they usefull or useless? The price isn't big some about 200$-400$, chromebook is weird and heavy and only for some simple things.
I remember when I building in 2015 a pc i know it need to good a case for fans and everything to better circulation. The new notebook or laptops have the same problem lower fans to get out temperature or lower components example material plastic and another things. I remember my laptop Thinkpad T61p I just wondering if better using older stuff is better from this new what is very unstable. That why I am lost. Better choice buying or DIY?

You know I love talking about technology, you know me well hehe. :grin:

You mentioned notebooks. Here's the thing, in regards to cooling, you want a notebook that is made of metal, to give it a fighting chance at proper cooling. My computer uses mostly metal for its casing, along with a unibody design. Have a look...

The only place it has plastic, is on the bottom cover...

And here is the kind of cooling it has with its twin blower fans, and all the copper heat exchange pipes...

This is basically what you want for a notebook computer that has high end performance hardware in it. You want as much cooling capacity as you can get. And even with all this cooling capacity, I still run a -50mv undervolt on my CPU, and I run an AFMAT cooling pad with blower fans that push a lot of air.

In regards to your other question, should I buy a notebook, or a new DIY desktop build? Well, that kind of depends doesn't it? Sure, its fun to build a desktop computer, but how much money do you want to spend?

If you want to build a mid-grade desktop machine, you can certainly spend less money then I did on my notebook! :blush: But truth is, your gaming desktop you have now, I still consider a relevant mid-grade gaming machine. Its nowhere near as old as my old Acer quad core machine is.

So, if you want to build a new desktop, it would only makes sense if you aimed for high end components, otherwise I don't see the upgrade? The problem is, GPU's are so overpriced now days, you'd spend like what is it 1300 dollars for a Nvidia 3080? So by the time your done with your DIY build, you'd spend easily at least as much as my notebook computer.

It might be easier just buying a new notebook. But then thats when we get back into cooling concerns. If you buy one of those cheap notebooks that are purely plastic, that material acts like a warm blanket. And usually they come with even smaller fans inside then my notebook has.

And as far as the NUC's are concerned, those are perfect for media center PC usage, I would never game on them! NUC's would also make great office PC's too. I would never consider a NUC for gaming, nor for production though, they'd overheat so bad and choke on their own cores in the process lol.

3 Likes

When I wondering about DIY I mean good components but this is difficult on market. This is also depends what you want choice your pc. Yes @StarTreker that laptop what you show me with good msi. I trust msi is good a brand name. @Aravisian sayed some ASRock is good then bought new and processor when the both died when thermal conductive paste go there. I working many years with components hardware.
I want to say that this is a different technological world and I'm not keeping up with all of this. Sometimes I have the impression that they are selling us old technology and they already have new technology, as for any corporation to earn more money.

Technically you are right. Its always been said that company servers have more capacity then any home desktop. Mainframe servers generally have multiple CPU's inside them, with multiple cores between them. And they also have petabyte storage capacity.

This is the reason why the focus shifted with ILM, and many people, including Adam Savage, lost their jobs. There was a time when ILM was required, because nobody had the machine capacity to render CG scenes in house. Those days are over. Heck, my machine could render CG scenes, and its not even a mainframe!

Another factor to your point that is more recent, quantum computing. Yes, quantum CPU's are far more superior over that of standard silicone CPU's that are used today. But quantum computers are specialized hardware, using specialized cooling solutions, and are far from becoming the main stream.

So yes, there is greater technology, but it won't be seen in the home consumer, business fields, or production fields for a long time. Currently, quantum computer's are using cloud based services, those like the ones IBM has setup for them, to run artificial intelligence calculations.

And like I said, quantum computers probably won't be seen in the home market until maybe 20-years from now. Experts say that it is actually more efficient to connect quantum computers to blindingly fast fiber optic net speeds to cloud services, and have your home computers that use standard silicon chips, to connect to them.

Another way to explain this is look at our current computers as thin clients. We connect to a host, which has a quantum computer system attached to it. Our computers issue an order, and the quantum CPU's do the blindingly fast calculations that would take standard silicone chips 10-years to come with with the solution, where as quantum CPU does it in hours, minutes, or seconds.

So ya, don't count on quantum computing technology being in our homes for at least another 20-years I'd say.

Kind of. Companies will sneak, exaggerate, cut corners...
But generally, Computer Manufacturers have long followed the trend of being Cutting Edge to boost sales.
The closer we creep toward the impenetrable wall of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, the smaller our edges get cut. We are hitting that plateau of growth that used to be exponential.
This is why Quantum Computing is the driving developmental force. At one time an interesting concept, it now is getting more essential. Not because any home owner needs that kind of raw power, but because within twenty years, computer manufacturers want it to be affordable enough to convince us that we need that raw computing power.
Which will make cybersecurity of the future an interesting thing...

As it is currently, the most cutting edge technology and Linux do not mix, well. Linux needs to get on bended knee and beg manufacturers for Driver Code.

EDIT: Treker, this is now the second time I posted at the same time with the same brain as someone else. Are you and @Elegant_Emperor sock puppets of mine?:thinking:

HAHA, I just noticed that too, technically I had mine posted before you though, but yes, we had the same train of thought. You know why? Its cause were smart cookies :cookie: We both know computers, and we know where the technology is heading. And we obviously are in agreement there reading your post just now.

After reading your post however, I am going to say that it is in my opinion, that we have already reached that plateau.

You never hear about CPU's that perform greater then 6GHZ, even in the highest top of the line gaming machine that is even faster then my computer. Why is that? Cause with more frequency, equals more heat. And even powerful water cooling setups, are pretty much maxed out if you pumping 6GHZ worth of heat into the exchange system.

There is only so much heat that liquid can move away from your CPU. Air cooling can handle even less! This is why those crazy overclockers trying to get the greatest benchmarks on the leaderboards, they don't do it with water cooling, as they would be overextended long time ago. They use liquid nitrogen.

So what is the average speed of most computers sold today? The answer is between 2.2GHZ, to 4GHZ, with turbo capacities between 3GHZ to 5GHZ. Why? Cause anymore, and your generating so much heat, your going to trip the 110C overload, and cause your computer to shutoff.

So what have they been doing with CPU's since? Razing frequency? No! Cores! Yes, cores, upon cores, upon cores upon cores. Have you seen how many cores they top tier production machines use in the production field? 64-core and 128-core Threadrippers CPU's.

People realized we can't keep cramming frequency increases into everything, that only generates added heat and more power consumption. So instead, we have multiple core CPU's, to try and offload responsibilities to each core, thus allowing for parallel process computing. This gives the illusion that our CPU's are faster.

But in reality, they are no faster then CPU's from 10-years ago, they are just more efficient at handling tasks at once time, so your computer doesn't choke on a single core, like computers did back in the 2000's and earlier. But we have reached that plateau, we can't cram anything more out of them but add cores.

Now, 12th gen Alderlake CPU's are interesting, because now they have P-states and what is it C-states? They basically have a redesign that is supposed to make them more efficient. But here's the kicker, you need Windows11 to unlock those features, ohhhhh, how convenient.

Each generation they do add something new, but when you look at the overall benchmarks listed by tech media, each generation is usually only a few percent faster then the previous generation. I guess 12th gen Alderlake is supposed to be what 15% faster then previous generation, but at what cost?

Have you seen how much the top tier 12th gen CPU's cost? By the time your done with your build, you got 1300 dollar in your CPU, another 1300 dollars into your GPU, and 500 dollars in your motherboard, by the time your done, you've got like 4,000 to 5,000 dollar into your desktop build.

Its the kind of thing that makes you wish you just bought a notebook instead. Which is of course what I did. Nope, Aravisian and I agree, quantum computing is the real generational change, but we won't see it anytime soon so ya.

I do not agree, actually - we have not yet reached it; Manufacturers know they must ration development to make it last a while and keep their aces in the hole.

Well, same could be said for the console market over the last 40-years. I noticed that everytime a new console came out, it was far slower and had lesser hardware, then the current age PC's. Everytime a new console came out, there was very little improvement to the graphics in gaming.

I also got this sense that there was better technology available, and that the manufacturers were hiding capacity. This was indeed proven to me back in 1999, when we had the Sony Playstation 2, and Microsoft Xbox consoles. The Xbox had greater performance capacity over the Playstation 2.

And since I owned both a Playstation 1 and a Playstation 2, I could see there there was only a miner improvement in the games graphics, while the Xbox's easily took the lead. Which is why I got into an Xbox 360 console in the next generation console at the time, I guess it was 2005.

But I always saw how PC's always dominated consoles no matter what. You can get much better hardware in a PC, sure it will cost you a bit more, but any top tier PC, which includes my notebook, will mop the floors with any console today.

So yes, we do agree actually, on the point that people are hiding their aces, so as to make improvements slowly, to give them time, to bring us quantum computing in the home.

Their sneaky snakes is what they are... :snake:

I reading Intel next two generation gived us good stuff processor. For me they are testing us and collect information from us. To fix they problems.

I am just curious, because now all price going up inflation and all things I just gave up. Then best choice to help older pc buying more ram and ssd hard disk or processor. For my PC processor is highest and ram also gived him next life with hard disk ssd. Graphic card sometimes catch black screen but what it could be some sneaky new driver updates or better just flash or ram on graphic card start dieying. This is mysterious. So in my experience some hardware keyboard,mouse, headphones when finish warranty start be a broken. Hardware in PC mostly graphic card. Processor working on all pc, ram working also. Printer are also weird with working when they are printer but out white paper not printed. The best this is when you bought expensive then sometimes cheaper working a better and longer. Then just companies want your money selling low product or for good product you must paying many money. That why my question was if you can build DIY. Then what you building like a god could be a better from any products on the market or be near best product on market if you have a knowledge?

Yes, Linus Tech Tips have gifted a couple of computers to people that were a 10,000 dollar level, thats what you call a God like machine. Its a weird gameshow style of episodes that he's done, they suddenly showed up on his channel, and I didn't know what the heck was going on, cause I don't swim in LTT's super fan circle.

But yeah, any machine that costs 10,000 dollars, that would be your God like computer. It probably could last 20-years of life before becoming obsolete to being useless, for that reason alone! A machine like that, could game the gigabytes out of those games, and do 12K or 16K production without even flinching lol.

Yes, I am talking to someone I know, who also wants to build a new computer as well. He didn't realize just how bad prices on computer component inflation has gotten. So he too got a rude awakening in reality. And he too, has decided to just do a RAM upgrade, a mobo upgrade, and an SSD storage upgrade.

I told him, if he's not going to build a whole new computer, he just wants to do a halfway upgrade, that if he's going to buy a new motherboard, he should buy one that has PCIE gen 4 support. That way he can use PCI gen 4 SSD drives and GPU's.

I agree Bourne, there are always ways of making a persons PC faster without doing a CPU and GPU upgrade. Just upgrading your RAM from 8GB to 16GB makes a huge difference. And upgrading from 16GB to 32GB makes more of an improvement still.

And upgrading from a slow as a snail and a slug on a sidewalk mechanical HD drive, to an PCIE gen 4 NVME M.2 SSD drive, will make a huge improvement, even more then the RAM will.

And some gamers make upgrades you wouldn't think about. For some gamers, refresh rate is everything in ESPORTS games. So they will upgrade from a 60 hertz monitor to 140 herts or 240 hertz, suddenly that gives them the upper hand in ESPORTS. Cause you see them, before they see you.

Quicker response time, equates to quicker reaction time. And gamers claim that their gaming performance is smoother as well, on a higher refresh rate screen. The only thing is, in order to push those higher refresh rates, you need a solid GPU to do it. Were talking 3060's, 3070's, 3080's.

And of course, it also depends on the game too. On games that are not so graphically intensive, you could easily pump out 100 FPS or more on a Nvidia 1070. But on other games which are modern high intensive games, those are the ones that require higher end GPU hardware, to pump out that 140 FPS or more.

I love discussions like these, gives me something to do during the boring winter lol.

1 Like

Yes. The same i liked when someone put topic to talking interesting questions for freedom not beating with full respectfull and I am happy with that because no commercial because we not belong to any hardware corporation. That help me mode open mind and eyes.

1 Like

I also wondering why we cannot building DIY, because corporation get a money and we cannot choice good hardware parts what are now expensive. Selling poor hardware with high price. They can Control market pc and price. If people are not gaming then motherboard with integration GPU with processor and ram also SSD is best option for Linux users. Ok some games will working but minimum with DirectX 12 example warframe or skyforge from 2013. Example testing Apple with newer mac they are not for gaming. Then what is my experience windows and all app mostly wrote for microsoft,apple and open source Linux with github. Every app microsoft want your e-mail or double security with your mobile, the same Apple. Linux what i saw is mode friendly. I understandable when you buying something then this is good idea.

Hardcore gamers like myself, who are also on Linux, we are rarities. Most gamers are on Windows. So your right, if a person is not a gamer, and they want to run on Linux, they don't need a top end machine, they don't even need a mid-grade machine. Any low grade Nuc is gonna set them right.

As long as they are not in need of production work that is. Cause don't forget, its not just about gaming, production work requires high performance parts, especially if your making money off of doing production, time is money as they say.

So ya, if your not gaming, and your not doing production, any cheap oh Nuc will be perfect. That also goes for the cheap notebooks you can get, like those Chromebooks. Many kids who are getting an education, are using Chromebooks for their schooling, and they work just fine for them.

I have one nuc but they are hot. Don't have good experience with some hardware. Simple someone are good and someone are bad.
That means i talking about station pc, gaming laptops,laptops, small nuc is raspberry pi,jetson,risc.

I must sayed for people who are retired and watching all that microsoft bad things when have a new pc with many logging and accept and put many information they are very annoying and have problem with that machines - headeach. For them simple was W7 last. I can agreed people more using linux for daily using without gaming about people over some x years. People who are gaming like @StarTreker wrote could be a windows good choice or xbox or playstation.

1 Like

Second is for linux.