Modernizing version 6 for daily use?

This might be impossible, but is it possible to somehow update version 6 of Zorin OS so it's compatible with newer hardware and software? I love the way 6 looks, and I have a LOT of nostalgia for that specific version.

It's more feasible to take an LXDE-based distro and copy over the themes and icons from 6 Lite if I want to use a distro which looks like a 6.x release, but I like the AWN panel and other bits which 6 has. Versions 7 and later don't have my interest since that's when the current logo debuted (I'm more a fan of the blue "Z" orb)

1 Like

If aesthetics is the main reason, you may want to take a look at this thread to see how far you can take customization. There are even some people who make ZorinOS look like MacOS, so I don't see a reason why you couldn't make it look like ZorinOS 6.

https://forum.zorin.com/t/share-your-desktop-what-does-it-look-like

1 Like

You can also install LXDE or LXDE-GTK3 on Zorin OS.
I can probably help with theming it.

2 Likes

This required a trip down memory lane. I found my DVD of Zorin 6 Ultimate (32 bit) , and found an old desktop with DVD, and ran it live. A lot of the older apps like "Browser Manager" were interesting, and being able to select a background type (Video, Sound, Reset to Space background). A strange thing was no X in the top right hand corner to close a page. I had to click "Close" in the panel. I also tried many years ago Zorin 6.3 Lite as a download for my 11" notebook, but eventually used Linux Lite (XFCE) instead. I agree with Aravision that you are better to perhaps install LXDE on a modern Zorin system, and adapt it to your preferences.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.