Monitor aspect ratio not detected, please help!

Hey Y'all, I am trying to use ZORIN OS on my PC, I have already been using it on my old mac-book pro with no issues at all, I liked it so much i wanted to Daily drive it on my desktop PC. when i loaded up the flash drive everything looked good, there was several monitor aspect ratio's to choose from, and it was buttery and smooth, I installed it just like i did on my laptop, no errors after i restarted my PC the only resolution option available is 1024x768, I have been messing with it for 6 hours and can not get it to recognize my monitor, and the second monitor isn't working at all. I have tried everything from 50+ forums,and web searches. I have re installed the OS 7 times on 3 different ssd's, My system is a amd Ryzen 7950xt with a 7900xtx
I have tried every thing i can think of, different ports on my motherboard and gpu, different cables, every update method, auto updater, the terminal, can someone please point me in the right direction,

Maybe you forgot to sprinkle some salt and bake for 5 minutes :rofl:. I would have suggested trying to enable fractional scaling or check Additional Drivers for updates or other drivers to install but from the tale of your adventures I don't think they are the answer.

AMD GPU Drivers are included in the kernel.
If the LiveUSB Zorin worked, but the install didn't, you might try

sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade

Then reboot and test.

If still no good, you can try rolling back to an earliest available kernel or try installing a later kernel.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:tuxinvader/lts-mainline

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.02

1 Like

Wouldn't be safer to enter sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade first and sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade if the first one doesn't resolve?

No, not really. Full-upgrade is not unsafe. It can be in the same way as autoremove under certain circumstances.
With this being a fresh install, I cannot fathom any of those circumstances already taking place.
And running full-upgrade gives the best chance of ensuring that necessary files are replaced that upgrade or dist-upgrade may not replace.

1 Like

thanks for the reply, yes I did try both options.

any other ideas, I this was a suggestion that i did not try before, but unfortunately it made no difference

Including the 6.2 kernel and booting into it?

Well i cant get it to work, just as a test i installed my Nvidia graphics card and it worked flawlessly,

I am confused by this; Are you saying that after installing Nvidia Card, everything is now working?

yea, but thats not the card i wanted to use

For your AMD Radeon card, try bumping up to the 6.3 kernel using the same TuxInvader repo we added earlier.

sudo apt update && sudo apt install linux-generic-6.03

Reboot and test...

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.