Monitor(s) not going into sleep mode

I can see it possible that mouse speed settings can cause the screensaver to not kick in if the mouse signal seems to constantly be moving.
But I also admit that while possible, this seems a stretch. I would suggest finding the screen saver settings, first.
Any Gnome Users online at the moment?

Yep, I'm here.

Reading some comments online I saw this app can effect the monitors and it is use as a startup appliction.

My suggestion would be to disable the IMWheel temporary from the startup applications (you can always set it back with the app from the menu), restart and in the settings set your black screen option and see if it makes a different. If not then you're sure it's not the IMWheel app.

1 Like

Thank you dasjdoom, will try that! I just thought this cannot be it, because this would have appeared out of nowhere then, but surely worth a shot, will report later :slight_smile:

That would also be worth a try, yeah. No clue though if I'm misunderstanding anything. I have these options in my settings' power menu:

When you disable the IMWheel from startup,
set the Bildshirm abshalten to "1 min" and
the Automatisch in Bereitschaft gehen to "aus"
Because it's just for test to see if after 1 min the monitor(s) turn blank.

3 Likes

@dasjdoom Can't believe it! Deleting the entry in the startup processes really did the trick! The monitors are now shutting down as expected, thank you so much!

However, of course the mouse wheel speed is now not at what I desire. Is there any way to have both - shutting down monitors AND the mouse wheel speed I prefer you think? :smiley: Would be awesome!

Cheers

1 Like

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled imwheel with the same settings as before. Monitors and mouse wheel now working :+1: :+1: :+1: If it happens again I will know what to do! Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Okay nope

Back to zero. It suddenly stopped working again, so I completely uninstalled imwheel and the startup folder entry and now it again doesn't shut down the monitors with imwheel completely uninstalled.... :frowning:

Well that's too bad, but have you restarted after removing the IMWheel app?
About the screen saving I think you should put the settings back to what you were used too and see what happens after a testdrive.

As for the mouse speed - if you are using a logitech mouse you could install Solaar. This app is available from the Software Store, which also allows you to set the speed for your mouse I believe. It could be and alternative for IMWheel.

Funny, my G502 Lightspeed will arrive later today. Would this app work with it? Also, I purged, autoremoved, removed etc. again and monitors are turning off again. I'm not sure if I forgot something on my last uninstall, so somehow it's working. Better save energy than saving a bit of time while scrolling. Can be handled as solved!

I believe that the mouse your refering to is well know here.

There is one person by the name of StarTreker who uses it while gaming. Check it out by searching for G502 gaming mouse or....

So yes, it will work with the Solaar app.

2 Likes

Thank you sir!

Yet another update on the monitors. I finally found the culprit by narrowing down apps that are starting with the pc. Turns out it was a Lutris/Wine game I basically always start as soon as the computer powers on, namely League of Legends.

If the Wine process of it is running: No turny off monitors
It the game and its Wine process are killed: Monitors shut down.

Finally!

Gonna try my luck with Solaar as soon as the mouse arrives. Thank you all for your attempts in helping me <3

3 Likes

Hey again @dasjdoom, I just connected my mouse and wanted to check your link and the Solaar app, but both is not working. Is it possible that the app is discontinued? Your link leads me to a 404, as well as the github link from within the app.

It doesn't recognize the mouse either

About the link, you're right but that will be no problem for your mouse as long as it's functioning alright. Have you tried it with gaming, that's it's main purpose I believe.

About the Solaar app I just looked it up. I don't have it installed and not using it, but it can be found and installed from the Software Store.

1 Like

Yeah sure, the mouse works fine though, I just wanted to try the Solaar app to potentially avoid having to use imwheel, but mouse and monitors work just fine. I just wanted to try it :slight_smile:

1 Like

did you reboot after install?

No, I didn't :slight_smile: Solaar gave an error about permissions, but everything's fine for now. If I'm in need of the Solaar app I'll try rebooting, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

yeah usually it is advised to reboot when making installation of any software to have the changes implemented so as to work correctly.

1 Like

I see I see. Yep, will do the next time, thank you!

That is normal, when i launch lutris and did not click on any game my laptop monitor does not get black either.

As for permission issues did you turn off secure boot ?