Monitor timeout sometimes drops to 5 secs after sleep

Just to tidy this thread up a bit, here's my (currently) final word:
The quick timeout problem seems to have been completely eliminated by placing a simple script in the /etc/profile.d directory.

1. using gedit, I created a file named xset_dpms.sh
  2. I made it executable by executing: chmod +x weather.sh
    in a terminal
  3. I then made it execute at every login by placing the file into the /etc/profile.d directory.

Even though this command turns off "Display Power Management Signalling", according to Aravisian above, my monitor still goes into standby after 15 minutes, just as I want.
Thanks to everyone who helped on this.

1 Like

My favourite solution is to use a small, third-party app called Caffeine. When you want to temporarily disable screen locking, sleep or associated actions you can – just give Ubuntu a shot of Caffeine!

This seems to be an ad, probably an automated one. Caffeine is a possible solution to a different issue. The issue discussed here is not at all wanting to keep linux awake.

Hello Zorin users !

I am a brand new "noob" to linux / Zorin. I am using this nice OS on a Razer 13" laptop, on which I installed the Core version (clean install, no dual boot).

I pretty love the Zorin OS, but discovered that kind of same problem as @JimH.

Here is what happen:

• When my computer is left alone without activity, it properly goes to sleep mode (as define in settings)
  • When I hit the keyboard or mouve the mouse, I have the login prompt screen. I then log in.
  • Finally, after login, session locks again with the same 15 secs timeout... It keeps going on like this every time I continue to log in...

Then I must restart the laptop.

Any "clean" solution found since this topic was created ?

Thanks a lot

This may be caused by the .Xauthority login loop.

You can boot up as normal, but at the login screen, do not log in.
Instead, tap ctrl+alt+F3 to enter tty (terminal)
Set the permissions for the .Xauthority file (change $USER to your actual login username):

sudo chown $USER:$USER .Xauthority

Exit with ctrl+alt+F7
Proceed to login.
If that does not work, remove the file

rm .Xauthority

A new default .Xauthority file will be created by logging in.

I gave up on fixing the wake-up from hibernation problem long ago. But since updating to OS version 16.3 many months ago, the problem has been even worse. More often than not, I must crash the system using the shutdown button on the tower. If anyone has any new information, I would much appreciate it. It just happened again a few minutes ago. Here is the log that was produced. Note that I mistyped the password. I hope that it is appropriate to paste a log entry here. It is short.

1:16:03 PM sudo: jim : 1 incorrect password attempt ; TTY=unknown ; PWD=/home/jim ; USER=root ; COMMAND=/usr/bin/truecrypt --core-service
1:15:39 PM systemd: Failed to start Application launched by gnome-session-binary.
1:15:39 PM pulseaudio: GetManagedObjects() failed: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.TimedOut: Failed to activate service 'org.bluez': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)
1:15:37 PM gdm-session-wor: gkr-pam: unable to locate daemon control file
1:15:13 PM kernel: usb 1-2: 3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84
1:15:04 PM kernel:
1:15:03 PM kernel: usb 1-2: 3:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x84
1:15:02 PM systemd-udevd: /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-epsonscan2.rules:18 Invalid key/value pair, ignoring.
1:15:02 PM kernel: sd 10:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

Thanks for your reply 337harvey. I already have Blank Screen set to Never and Automatic Suspend set to 30 minutes. However, I just checked to see if my xset_dpms.sh script was still in /etc/profile.d and it was not. I do not know why unless one of the OS version updates deleted it. I recreated it. We shall see.

1 Like

Replacing the missing script file containing xset -dpms did not fix anything. The machine fails to recover from hibernation almost every time now. When it goes into hibernation sometimes it turns off the backlighting of my keyboard. Sometimes it leaves it on. Once I get past the initial login woes after hibernation, the system remains stable ... until it hibernates again. Every boot I must remount my encrypted drive and restart all my vm's with there multiple passwords. It is really annoying. I sometimes have to do this multiple times in a day.

When you set up hibernation, did you set up SWAP on a separate partition?

Yes. My system drive is a 1 T drive that is 60% full. Partition #3 is 18Gb's designated as swap -- "Swap Partition 3 18 GB Swap" I'm currently running ZorinOS Pro 16.3