Mouse pointer with no animation when starting application from desktop icon

Hello again, :hugs:

I have placed some application icons on my desktop. (Zorin 16.2)

If I double click them the application will start after one or two seconds, BUT the mousepointer does not show any kind of animation. Normally it should show this circle wheel spinning.

How can I solve this issue?
:thinking:

I don't think the default cursors are animated. I installed the Phinger cursors... they're animated.

2 Likes

If you need help installing cursors there are a couple of threads on how to do that (including a helpful guide by @Mr_Magoo):

1 Like

The default cursor is animated. As soon as I start apps from start menu the mouse pointer shows this spinning circle animation. Only apps which I start from desktop do not show this default spinning wheel mouse pointer animation. :man_shrugging:

Thanks for the links. I will try other ones to see if it has something to do with my pointer. But normally I would like to stick to the default mouse pointer.

The funny thing is that only starting apps with clicking icons on my desktop do not show any kind of mousepointer animation. If I start porgrams from start menu then there is a mousepointer animation. :man_shrugging:

I've just tried and I get the same behavior on Zorin Core, but on Zorin Lite still shows the loading cursor even when launching from the desktop shortcuts.

Probably has something to do with Gnome then... it seems the desktop file itself is just a duplicate of the desktop entry found in /usr/share/applications for that program, so I'm not sure what's causing this.

1 Like

Gnome removed Desktop Icon support entirely.

ZorinGroup added it back in in the form of the Desktop Icons Gnome Shell Extension.

Since it is being patched in with an extension, rather than being handled by nautilus-desktop, that may explain why Gnome is different.

2 Likes

Yes, it's very annoying actually... I can understand their argument against using the desktop in favor of having a more "mobile-like experience" but what exactly is the issue with leaving the desktop available for those who want to use it?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.