Changing cursor

I have been trying for quite a while now to get a windows 10 cursor theme on Zorin OS Core and I can’t figure it out. If anyone knows how, I would love some help.

Are you referring to a theme like this X11 cursor theme?

To install it, extract the .tar.gz to ~/.icons.
If the .icons folder does not exist in your home folder, you can just right click and create new folder, name it

.icons

then extract the .tar.gz into it.

You may want gnome tweak tool

sudo apt-get install gnome-tweaks

Open gnome tweak tool and then select the Mouse / Touchpad option on the let ( I do not use Gnome or the Tweak tool, so that tab name may not be 100% accurate, but you get the idea).
From there you can select the cursor.

Thank you so much! Only there is one problem. When I download the file, it is a .zip not a .tar.gz. I can still extract it to .icons, but it doesn’t show up in gnome tweaks. Is there a way to fix this?

Can you please post a link to the cursor?

Oh, I just used the link that you posted.

Ok, I just looked at it that actual download page (Which… lol… I did not do before…)
.zip or .tar should make no difference- as long as you extract it to the right place. BUT, I see it is missing the index.theme file.

I searched the downloads for alternatives- This one is labeled the same and has the proper format- But is black instead of white:

The same themer provides a win7 in white that looks very similar to me- but … I dunno…
1 Like

Thank you so much! You were a huge help. :smile:

This doesn't work for me, I've tried making a .themes and .icons folder. I'm trying to install a tar.gz cursor pack.

A Pack may contain multiple themes in One Master Directory. IF this is the case, you must move the individual theme directories from the master directory into the ~/.icons directory.
This is because the Master Directory address disrupts the path that should lead directly to the index.theme file, cuasing the system to not see the theme file since it is encased in a directory further down the tree than it should be.

I always thought cursors were in usr | share | icons ?

I got mine to work by putting in some folder, was it usr/share/config/icons or something? I don't remember.

Icons and cursors can be placed in
/usr/share/icons
or
~/.icons
Or
~/.local/share/icons

Any of the above locations will work.

Elevate to Root Privileges in order to perform any action in Root.

Are you logged in on Wayland?
X11 cursors are for use on the X Windowing system; they may not work on Wayland.

Download your cursor theme from wherever ...
Open a terminal and enter:

sudo nautilus

Then after you have extracted the .tar.gz or .zip file copy the folder to

usr | share | icons

Then use Tweaks to change it.

Just wanted to see how to do it in LXQt in Devuan.
I downloaded and extracted the theme.
Opened a terminal and 'su' to become root.
Then I navigated to Downloads and entered:

mv oreo_purple_cursors usr/share/icons

Then I opened LXQt settings, then selected 'cursor' and changed to the new pointer:

Notice in LXQt you get a preview above the main window of what the cursors are going to look like.

Interesting comparison with LXQt versus xfce on memory usage here: