MP4 sound ok in default Videos app, nothing in VLC or Kaffeine

They're pretty standard and common h264 MP4 files, with video and audio (AAC stereo), that work fine on my Windows, Android and ios devices, using VLC in Windows and using 2 other video playback apps in Zorin, just not VLC.

Aside from default Videos app... have you tested other media players?

When I was a Windows user... I had certain preferred apps.
After I migrated to Linux, I tried to keep my preferred Windows Apps. I used WINE and the other things people try doing. But in the end had to accept some realizations.
One was that I preferred certain apps partly because they were familiar. And partly because Windows is a bit limited and those apps performed the best out of their competition on Windows.
But they were not the best when compared to other apps on Linux.
I was clinging to them needlessly.
There was a long list of apps. Irfanview is another...

And VLC was one such app.

I no longer use it. It has had some pretty major security flaws that went unfixed for far too long.
It has strange bugs that are often brushed over rather than fixed.
VLC Player is great... it has a lot of features and options and you can skin it... I support the concept of VLC. But once I took it down off its pedestal... I had to admit that for all its greatness in concept and offerings, it is not so great for daily use. Looking at the code for it, it is a tangled mess.
For regular use, a simple, well designed and efficient media player works better.
Do one thing and do it well.

I settled on XPlayer. It plays all videos.
I have never had any trouble with it. It has never crashed.

Yes, but you also stated you reinstalled, hence the question.

I usually go into Synaptic, enter codecs and start going through them to make sure they were all installed. It gives me a visual over trying to look at the terminal.

Have you seen this? Tried this? audio - VLC player in ubuntu playing videos without sound? - Super User

True, good point.

Yup, I did the same thing and everything VLC related is installed and up to date.

That was one of the first support threads I found during my search and one of many that suggested that fix. I've tried all the different output modules including ALSA, and I tried all the devices as well, sadly still nothing. :frowning:

Multiple, and audio works in all of them, except for this Kaffeine one that downloaded and installed with the VLC related codecs via SPM, no audio in that one either. I mentioned a couple in this thread where the audio is working fine however.

Me too, and in this case my preferred in Windows is also VLC lol

I'm using WINE for a couple non-media apps, but it never occurred to me to try VLC via WINE, since it's already open source and has been widely supported in Linux for quite some time now, probably always has.

This is actually a case of both familiarity & best IN both worlds. I would gladly give up my comfort with VLC if someone could suggest a more, or preferably the most, popular top performing alternative for Linux, I even said as much in one of my earlier posts! But unfortunately nobody had suggested a better alternative, until now of course lol I'm not familiar with XPlayer but I'll install it and give it a try and if it works, I'm not fussy :slight_smile: however, just out of curiosity, what is the most popular top performing/secure media player for Linux? Is it XPlayer, VLC or something else entirely?

I prefer Xplayer which really is just a slightly modified version of Totem.
Totem is now called Gnome Videos...
-eyeroll-

There is also MPV which I also like.

sudo apt install mpv

There is Kodi, which is considered Top by many. In fact, Zorin OS Ultimate used to come with the full Kodi Media Desktop.

sudo apt install -y kodi

Parole is a common and popular player:

sudo apt install parole

If you are fine with Flatpaks (I'm not), then you can check out Haruna and Celluloid. Both seem to be only available as Flatpaks though I admit I did not perform a search to see if I could find them as a .deb package.
Haruna offers youtube support.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.