MSI MPG Trident

Hello everyone,
Is it possible to install Zorin OS on MSI Trident ?
Any advices are welcome, thank you

It certainly should be.
If you have any trouble, you know where to find us.

If installing as Dual Boot with Windows, be sure to disable Fast Boot or Fast Startup in Control Panel > Power settings

If not installing with Windows, disable Secure Boot in the MSI EFI BIOS Settings.

Thank you, Aravisian
I've never used a mini PC, so I have no idea if the mini ITX Mainboard have support for Linux distros
I'll connect it to 8k Samsung QN900A, no gaming
I just can't wait to see how the Linux ( KDE ) fonts looks on 136 ppi
Windows 11 is installed by default, I guess I'll keep it, dual boot
Not sure if the 16 GB DDR4 is enough but I think, for web browsing, YouTube, watching movies, etc, should be okay

That is how much I have...

It'll be fine.

You can also run the "Try Zorin" demo on the bootable LiveUSB to test if it works.

I changed my mind and I ordered PC parts

Silverstone SST-RVZ03 case
CORSAIR SF750 80 PLUS Platinum PSU
Gigabyte B660I Aorus Pro DDR4 mainboard
Intel Core i7 12700KF ( 3,6 GHz default ) CPU
XFX Speedster SWFT210 Radeon RX 6600 XT - GPU ( AFAIK, AMD GPU's are better for Linux )
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR 4
Samsung 870 EVO - 500 GB SSD
Samsung 870 QVO - 1 TB SSD
and the Noctua NH-L9i - for CPU cooler

Much better than they already offer, imo

Seems like a powerhorse there. The only thing could be if you have all the state of the art latest hardware that Zorin OS 16.2 may not have the required drivers in the kernel. This could ofcause be solved by installing a newer kernel on Zorin 16.2 (if possible, I dunno as I'm running Fedora Workstation at the moment.)

1 Like

It's a mini PC.
Thanks, I'll be back when I install Zorin
Just can't wait to run Linux on 8k -60 Hz ( 136 ppi )

uhhh...

uuhhh ??

There are many areas in which Linux streaks ahead of Windows.
But 4k support is not one of them.

Since many things run more efficiently on Linux, we can build expectations of better and faster performance. While this is often true, not everything is uhhh... up to speed.
Windows is still the Dominant OS, pulling in the vast majority of the market. In excess of 87%. Hardware Manufacturers build and design with Windows OS in mind.

8k at 60 hz is intense. In an area where Linux is known to not always meet the expectations it has earned elsewhere.
And Fractional Scaling is a work in progress at best.
Even if the display works perfectly with minimal effort, you would be left with some pretty tiny icons.

I am usually first in line to promote the goodness of Linux and that won't change any time soon.
But this particular point is Linux's weakest link.
With that type of display, I would expect a lot of problem solving.

4 Likes

I have the same fan, but you will need to order the Noctua NH-L9i-17xx version for the CPU you have. Also, your KF is unclocked and will use 125 to 195 watts. That fan will probably be ramped up quite a bit during intensive processing. That fan has a Noctua performance score of 59 out of a 100...per Noctua specs. It will of course work but it will run faster due to thermal considerations, even with the CPU at rest.

Noctua Compatibility

But...this is always the issue with ITX size cases. Always a trade off somewhere.

2 Likes

I ordered the Noctua NH-L9i-17xx

2 Likes

" Even if the display works perfectly with minimal effort, you would be left with some pretty tiny icons "
Can't they be modified ? Larger, smaller ?

I used icons as an example. But text and screen details all would appear small.
On XFCE (Zorin OS Lite), you could change the DPI setting to alter it.
On Zorin OS Core (Gnome), you would need to use scaling.
Fractional Scaling is... underdeveloped currently.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.