My desktop theme and icons disappeared

The background isn't back yet,Sir.

Using x86 Intel for graphics... Ok, that was not a solution, but was informative.
Can you use the TTY again...
And this time run:

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

arrow key down to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" and add the nomodeset parameter.
It should look exactly like:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Tap
ctrl+x to exit, then the y key to say Yes to save, then the enter key to save the current configuration.
Next you must run

sudo update-grub

for the changes to take effect.

Reboot and test.
If still now good, Reboot and Access the Advanced Options for Zorin
https://forum.zorin.com/t/how-to-enter-recovery-grub-menu-advanced-options-for-zorin/8001/2

Select an earlier kernel and boot it to test your graphics.

I've done everything you said to Sir. I don't understand what you meant by the rebooting though......does it mean I have to go to the advanced options for zorin before rebooting?

I'm done with the reboot sir,and my laptop's graphics and display settings have totally changed. Can I undo the nomodeset stuff?. will it affect anything if I undo it?

This is how my graphics has changed Sir. I do not like the appearance at all.

It's been an hour and this series of images still have not uploaded...
Crosslink:

No,not at all.

Yes, you can completely UnDo the nomodeset parameter.
Just repeat the steps and backspace out nomodeset
leave the line to say simply "quiet splash"

Which kernel are you on?

uname -r

I've undone the graphics settings but my laptop is still as ugly as ever.

The "uname -r" command displayed "5 . 15 - 0-52-generic Sir.

I am looking over your images... and it appears, superficially at least, that the drivers are working.
But the appearance is off. Usually sizing and poor appearance come down to graphics.
But not always.

Have you uninstalled any software or installed any software prior to the change in your desktop appearance?
Have you run sudo apt autoremove prior to the change?

You might try

mv ~/.config ~/.config-bk

Log out and in. If no change, run

rm -rf ~/.config && mv ~/.config-bk ~/config

What the above does is backup your home config directory and then set it all to default settings to see if that purges any bad configurations. If it does not work, the second command restores the backup.

Should I run these commands on my terminal or through the "TTY" Sir?

If you are able to launch and run terminal, you can use terminal.
I had the impression that your desktop was non-functional, Which is why I suggested TTY.

I've tried the two commands sir. They do not work.

No sir. I have never removed any package.

How long has it been since you installed Zorin OS?

A week now.

I would honestly suggest backing up personal files and reinstalling Zorin OS.

The more I look at this, the less it looks like a Graphics issue. In which case, finding the root cause could be too tedious and hectic.

I had the OS installed by a friend. How do I go about it please?.
I'm sorry to be such a bother.

I recommend always running your own installations. There is much to be said for total confidence if your source.
Also, if another person should have made an error, you won't know about it in order to suss that out in troubleshooting here.

Installation of Zorin OS is very easy. Easiest of all if you are not dual booting and are going to overwrite the current installation.

Once in, you only need follow the prompts.
And if you run into any errors or troubles in the installation process, we have the Installation Support forum here.

Thank you so much for this tip Sir. I would try to re-install it tomorrow and get back to you.

2 Likes