My pc is stuck at GRUB, no detected keyboard and cant enter BIOS

just tried both keys nope cant get in :confused:

Be persistent - I'm guessing it's a timing issue. And first hold either F2 or Del, then power on - that way there's no interruption in key press.

You may have to try a few times before it works.

not working.. should i take the CMOS out?

No - that will reset all BIOS settings, enabling any Secure Boot settings that were disabled to install Zorin, making it bootless..

Keep trying to enter BIOS - it may seem impossible, but it's not.

Try swapping keyboards - if you're having that much trouble getting into BIOS, I would start thinking your keyboard has some dead keys :person_shrugging: Holding either of those keys, especially before powering the device on, should enter BIOS. If not, you may have dead keys, but that should be entering BIOS. Also look to see if F2 or Del are even the keys to be used - if you have the screen I posted, then it will specify which keys to press.

I have the screen, just has a cleaner font

Normally, you would type exit at that grub> prompt. But your keyboard is not working at that point? That is very odd... the Keyboard drivers (generic) are stored in the Motherboard BIOS.

I would actually agree with trying taking CMOS battery out... Even if Secure boot gets enabled, it may make certain things non-functional but Zorin OS should still be able to boot.

Maybe.. If I enable SB and boot Zorin, nothing lol might be a different setup I guess.

This can happen if using an unsigned kernel that was not distributed with Zorin OS - or if using certain Nvidia Proprietary drivers.

1 Like

Yep, Nvidia wins - am using proprietary drivers..

@logan - Are you using any USB hubs / extenders that you've got the keyboard plugged into? That might be causing the no keyboard input.. Just a possibility on the keyboard issues.

nope straight USB connection, btw i am dualbooting so windows probably would be thefallback right?

im using nvidia geforce drivers, would that be any help?

Has Windows been fully shut down prior to booting or upgrading Zorin OS?
Windows has a "feature" that it hibernates, instead of shutting down, even when you hit the "Shut Down" button. This is so that Windows OS can give the appearance of Booting Fast - when it is actually waking from hibernate.
If Windows is not fully shut down, it can retain control over hardware components like network card or peripheral devices.

If they are proprietary - they may interfere with Secure Boot. If you had access to the Grub Menu, then you could opt to launch Zorin OS with "Safe Graphics" bypassing that issue... since you do not have access to Safe Graphics or Grub Menu... It's hard to tell.

If this was me, I would boot into Windows and ensure it Fully Shuts Down.
I would then boot LiveUSB of Zorin OS and use the Live Image to run fsck safely on the unmounted Zorin Partition or drive.

Running fsck on a mounted partition can damage the partition.

last time i used windows was in winrecovery to boot the USB to install Zorin

Gotcha..

So, when you were in BIOS before - do you remember seeing any settings related to Legacy USB / USB Optimization or anything related? That might be causing the USB to not be activated until the OS loads. Some BIOS have these settings, some don't. Which, depending on if these were changed or modified, the CMOS reset may bring them back - so, might be worth a shot.

If you can't boot after the reset still, you'll likely have to get into BIOS and change some settings; boot order, SB, etc.

1 Like

OK, ill do the CMOS reset tommorow, too tired so im gonna get some sleep

1 Like

I GOT IN! thank you so much guys, i got to bios and entered windows as my os and im in!

2 Likes

Good news!
Do you mean you got into grub and menu had Windows option that worked?
I can't see that BIOS would have a menu item for Windows. A screenshot or photo uploaded here would help illustrate to us what you see.

I set windows bootmgr to be priority for the os in bios, and it hopefully lets me choose zorin still, but now i have all my main data back!

i was on phone the whole time so i cant send a image, bigger than 1mb somehow :confused:

Awesome :sunglasses: Good news indeed!

Vintage Fursuits

@zabadabadoo Sounds like it was disk boot order related - actually sounds like when I forget to set my eMMC storage as first boot, then I get the grub_shell.

1 Like