My wifi is connected but showing question mark always in the wifi icon

My wifi is connected but not working ..a question mark is always on the wifi icon...I keep turning my wifi off then on it again and again..it works for a few seconds properly..then everything gets back to the bad ...always a question mark appears on the wifi icon..all other devices in my home is working fine with the wifi except my laptop which is running on zorine os ...been using zorine os for a few months ... :slight_smile:

Thanks for the reply..well... I will give the screenshots here now ..so that you can understand better ..also I am new to linux :slight_smile:
Screenshot from 2023-02-14 19-46-30
..the wifi is always like this ...I cant search anything on the internet using my browser or anything that requires internet connection to happens ...I turn my wifi off..then again on it ...thus it works sometimes for a few seconds :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

and I did run that command that you gave me :slight_smile: ..should I give the screenshot of that here ? I dont know if there's any sensetive information there tbh :slight_smile: dont see any ip adresses ..what should I do now :slight_smile:

again, I appreciate your reply :smile: :smile:

1 Like

I get the same thing using Z15.3 Core. As wifi still works, I just ignore it.
The "?" dissappears and comes back on occasions best known to itself.

Maybe see this: 18.04 - Question mark icon instead of wifi icon - Ask Ubuntu

I assume same for ubuntu 20.04. I may investigate "Connectivity Checking" setting mentioned in that link.

1 Like

ooh...but in my case my wifi doesn't work :smiling_face_with_tear: I am unable to do my works for now because of this reason ... :slight_smile: most of the time my wifi is like this and I am not able to browse the internet using my laptop :slight_smile:

and sometimes my wifi icon itself disappears :joy:
Screenshot from 2023-02-14 20-00-00

like this

Thanks for that link that you have given above ... :slight_smile: :grinning:

it seems like those people are not having any network problem ..its just the icon which is annoying for them ..but their internet connection is fine :slight_smile:

Screenshot from 2023-02-14 20-05-19

As I mentioned before, My internet connection is gone ...also I have never used any VPN on zorine os ....really confused what happened ...

Can you please follow the prompt posted here:

1 Like

I should have given it earlier ...sorry for the delay :slight_smile: @Aravisian here it is

Well, the driver is present and recognized by the kernel... can you use Modprober to load and reset it?

echo "options rt2800pci nohwcrypt=1" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/rt2800pci.conf

sudo modprobe -rfv rt2800pci

sudo modprobe -v rt2800pci

Once the commands have successfully run, reboot and test...

1 Like

Sorry. I read the title, but missed the bit in OP about wifi "not working". My bad.

1 Like

I have done those commands..but the problem is still there.. :slight_smile:

Hmmm... is there any way you can test a different wifi adapter?
The driver, modprobe and devices all seem to be present. The only thing I can think of at this point is a fault with the Wifi Adapter itself.

1 Like

different wifi adapter means external wifi adapter ? btw thanks for all the help :slight_smile: I really appreciate it ..

2 Likes

now it's working much better than before :slight_smile: thanks to all of you again ..will let you guys know if I face any other problem .. :smile:

2 Likes

Do you know what the solution was?
Are you able to mark any of the posts above as " :ballot_box_with_check:Solution" to help others in the future. Or are you still suffering the same issue.

Well...that worked for me ...my wifi is working better now :slight_smile: sometimes it gets disappear...I think that's something to do with the wifi adapter ...but it's better now actually :smiley:...I just did those commands in the terminal...that's why I marked that as solution

1 Like

When the question mark comes up, it signifies no internet access, which means you can access anything in your local network, just not beyond that.

A few things to check... reboot your router recently? Does this only happen in your current location (room in your house) or other parts of your home? Do you experience the same issues with other devices in that location? There could be interference (try another channel in your router), turn off unused appliances between you and your router, possibly install a network repeater to improve the signal.

I mention these because you said it still did it intermittently... so may possibly be an external or signal issue rather than an issue with your laptop/ computer. Hope it helps.

1 Like

Thanks for giving your valuable thoughts on this ....yes I noticed a strange thing today... I disconnected wifi network from all devices in my home except my laptop...then it was working really great ....again at night only I use the laptop for my works and no one in my home usually use the internet :grinning: it also works really great that time .......... sometimes the wifi works really bad .....at the beginning it was the worst then ...after running those commands in the terminal its better now ...

the flow is something like this :

worst at the beginning -> works better after running those commands in the terminal -> works more better at night when I am the only one using the internet through wifi router :slight_smile:

another thing and that is ..other devices working really great ...haven't faced a single issue when I am using my wifi through other devices ...this problem is only happening with my laptop :slight_smile:

It sounds like your service has a low download and upload speed. In your router, you can set up quality of service (QOS) or port forwarding (which will allow you to specify a priority) so your device is the most important. Anyone streaming or gaming will cause slow internet. Consoles and streaming are both network hogs. But setting QOS, it will improve your access, though it will have some slowdown if the others are occurring.

The only other thing you could do is contact your ISP and get more bandwidth.

I had no problem like this in the past ...its been 2-3 days I am facing this problem ..also my laptop is quite old :slight_smile: ...I think my wifi adapter is causing this problem ....its not like my internet slowing ...its not working at all when the problem is happening ...then if I google something it is showing "this site can't be reached" then I turn off my wifi then again on it ...then the problem gets solved ... :slight_smile: ...just doing on and off actually

You could try purchasing another pcie wifi adapter, though it may be cheaper to use an external dongle.