Nautilus: can't "right-click > create link" of .bashrc

I use the right-click > create link feature of Nautilus a lot.
But this option is not available when I right-click my .bashrc file?

How can I create a link of my .bashrc file?

I was searching Google on how to do this the command line way, but it confused me more.
Does the right-click > create link feature of Nautilus create a hard, soft or symbolic link?

Symlink, which you can create with the "ln -s" command.

ln -s name-original.file name-linked.file

Dunno why you would want to create a symlink of your bash resource file, though...

1 Like

I want to back it up to my synced folder, so I'll have it with me on my next Linux install.
Is that not a good idea?

It is a good idea, but not by this method. Symlinks do not backup very well. The way to do that would be to regularly create backups of the existing file. A symlink will likely end up either blank or broken.

You are right, the sym linked file are not on my nas, although the rest of the folder are there :roll_eyes:.
Is there another way to automatically sync/copy files to another location?

Deja Dup back ups can be automated. I believe it comes with all versions of Zorin OS.
You can also pick and choose which directories to save in the back ups - this reduces bloat on things that you do not necessarily want backed up like ~/.cache.

1 Like

Deja Dup seems to only work with whole directories.
I'll just do it manually for now.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.