Net usershare' returned error 255..contains invalid characters (any of %<>*?|/\+=;:",)

Hello! So I'm trying to share this folder on a brand new ZorinOS install but i get this error : 'net usershare' returned error 255: [2023/05/29 15:53:53, 0] ../../lib/util/debug.c:1100(reopen_one_log)
reopen_one_log: Unable to open new log file 'Maison/log.net': No such file or directory
net usershare add: share name /home/homeserver493/documents/maisonhsn/maison contains invalid characters (any of %<>*?|/+=;:",) And as you can see the name of the folder "Maison" in this case has no invalid characters. I tried restarting Samba, but nothing is working.

I have actually been unable to get this setup myself from the exact same thing. I never have spent the time to try and figure it out

Developer bug.

The shares.c file contains -l instead of --long. Changing it to --long should resolve the error during compilation.

2 Likes

Thanks! But where can i find the file?

I cannot find that specific file here...

Looks like this will take further digging...

This remains a mission critical bug that has not been addressed. Sharing folders and files is literally one of the main tasks of running a Linux box. Either an update in the software app or a clearly explained patch routine are needed for this, post haste.

You are not the only one that has had issue with samba. Seems there is a naming convention flaw in a certain version of samba, which is the one that ships with zorin.

There is a request in for an update that will raise the samba version to include the fix provided by samba devs. We should see it shortly, depending on whether it breaks other functionality or not.

1 Like

If you are familiar with compiling packages, you can always go to samba.org and download the tar ball. This will allow you to upgrade samba to the latest version with the fix.

This will also require you to maintain it yourself, instead of by apt. This is a downfall to compiling it yourself, but if you absolutely need this functionality....

The instructions to install are pretty simple:

This will be the best that can be done until there is an update including a newer version of Samba from the ZorinGroup.

2 Likes

Would they conflict if you leave the apt version installed?

Honestly do not recall ever compiling something that I already had installed from apt before.

If ZorinGroup does not make a fix in the near future I might consider doing this myself.

Yes, they will conflict. There will be two binaries mapped to samba. As python3 is mapped to 3.8. To use another version you either have to use update-alternatives or an alias pointing to the other version.

It's best to remove the Zorin samba before compiling the latest. The same applies for installing flatpak or snap versions.

1 Like

That is what I would have expected. Thank you.

Thanks for this solution! Hopefully, they fix this problem soon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.