New gaming hardware advice

Hi all
Presently I have Zorin installed on nearly 10 year old gaming hardware, after a recent and very likely indefinite transition from Windows. Recent lackluster Steam gaming performance has motivated me to seek a new system. However, unlike Windows where I was almost guaranteed that any hardware was bound to work, I'm less confident about Linux (while I get used to it).

I want to go for the highest performing hardware to get me through the next 10 years or longer. Does anyone know of a good resource to help assess the impact of using hardware x, y, or z in Linux? Or perhaps I am overthinking this?

That's tough call.
At the moment AMD works out of hte box with builtin driver in the kernel, while nvidia the highest performance is Nvidia. (require a click to install the driver in most cases).

Nvidia just released its drivers as Open Source so in the near future I foresee there drivers in the kernel too.

2 Likes

I see. So in most cases hardware will initiate, but how well it runs depends on supporting infrastructure. I suppose the key to my success is to carefully research each hardware manufacturer and model for possible compatibility issues.

Thank you for your input.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.