New Grub Screen?

Installed zorin 16.1 on new Laptop with Hi-dpi screen.

My grub screen on new laptop was the same as my old laptop; like this one

But it was tiny.. Readable but not very nice to look at.
So, after reading a blog, I edited grub file with bigger resolution, did nothing. Fine.. I guess ?
Today I installed grub-customiser in hopes that maybe I did something wrong.

I used the appearance column to give grub a bigger resolution. (I also edited a boot entry by renaming it from Windows Boot Manager to Windows 10
After restarting laptop, I was greeted with the goblin of grubs.

Aside from the super ugly grub screen, the font is even tinier. How do I get my old Grub screen back. I'll manage even if it's with the small font but anything is better than this monstrosity

Edit - I can't find a single photo on the internet, of the Grub that looks like the one I want... How ?

I highly reccomend avoiding grub-customizer. It makes changes in places you do not expect.
It can be hard to undo what it changes, even after removing the application.

Completely remove Grub Customizer, first.
Then:
Can you please check /usr/share/grub/default/grub
And using a text editor on grub (elevate to root, first), place or ensure the placement of this line:
GRUB_THEME=/usr/share/grub/themes/zorin/theme.txt

While in there, check the resolution of GRUB_GFXMODE=

Now, still as Root, navigate to /etc/default/grub
Perform the same as the above. Check that GRUB_GFXMODE= matches the other grub file you just checked.
Make sure that you SAVE both files upon closing them.

Open a terminal and run

sudo update-grub

Check if the regular Zorin OS Grub screen is working.

1 Like

I cannot thank you enough, not only I recovered my old grub. The font issue was fixed as well. You are a God given gift to us :zorin: users.

For other users that stumble here:
Grub-customiser made changes to the grub file in /etc/default/grub, I redid the changes back to the ones found in /usr/share/grub/default/grub and it was corrected

1 Like

Looking over some of my posts, some users may argue that it was the Other Guy...
You just taught me how to make the :zorin: emoticon. I never noticed that before...

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.