Night Light option

Hello Folks,

Just a quick question.. how can I activate the night light filter in Zorin OS Lite 16.1 ?

I was following the KB article on the wiki Night Light but I can not find the option.

Also I followed this Night Light on Zorin OS Lite and could not find the settings listed.

Any help is appreciated.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nathan-renniewaldock/flux
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fluxgui

2 Likes

The links you provide lead to Gnome Desktop instructions, so you are definitely on the right track by redirecting your question for Zorin OS Lite (XFCE desktop).
The Night Light in Zorin Core is a Gnome-Shell extension.

So, in XFCE you should use the app Redshift

sudo apt install redshift

Launch redshift and configure.

EDIT: Bourne and I were typing at the same time, it seems. His suggestion of fluxgui is equally good to Redshift. Why not try out both apps (install only one a time) and then choose the one you prefer.

1 Like

Once you run redshift and set to auto start you can find redshift in your Startup Applications and change the command to something like:
redshift -t 6500:4500 -b 0.5 -l 0:51.28
-t DAY:NIGHT Range is 1000 (warm) to 25000 (cool)
-b Brightness range 0.1 to 1.0
-l LAT:LON Optional in case the auto location provider doesn’t work for you

For on demand (works regardless of location):
redshift -P -O 4500 -b 0.5
-P Resets any existing temp changes before applying a new one
-O Sets a one time temp
-b Brightness range 0.1 to 1.0

Reset all changes:
redshift -x

1 Like

sudo apt-get install redshift-gtk

1 Like

Either command will work:

sudo apt install redshift                                                 ─╯
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
redshift is already the newest version (1.12-2).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

```

Thank you very much @Aravisian and @Bourne for the hints. Will go with redshift and will setup as suggested.

but I think redshift is installed in zorin lite by default, and we can get it in the systray in taskbar. a lot of new zorin lite users don't enable status tray plugin , I have noticed that especially with zorin lite pro users. so ensure first u enable status tray plugin( I mean does u have icons for WiFi or Ethernet in the taskbar? if yes then do like as in the above posts, if u don't have u can enable status tray plugin