No apps/services working

I was browsing brave and suddenly brave started giving errors loading pages and asked for restart. I did it and after that brave stopped launching. Soon i realized no apps were launching except terminal. So i did sudo apt update followed by sudo apt upgrade. Both had errors. Here's image showing reply of sudo apt upgrade:

I think all system files have become read only somehow.
I thought of rebooting.. I sent command to the terminal but it gave : failed to reboot system via longind. The restart/power off button also not working.

I tried sudo fsck /dev/sda2 which gave: unable to set superblock flags on /dev/sda2
dpkg --configue -a gave: unable to access dpkg database directory (read only file system)
I tried using Timeshift in terminal but it gave segmentation error.
What do I do? Please help.

This sounds a lot like early Drive failure. Have you run a S.M.A.R.T. test to check the drives integrity?

Note any bad sectors.

Do you mean using Smartctl? If yes, i don't think it's working.

Input Output error trying to reach the drive - That does not look good.
Do you still have the original Install Medium with Zorin OS .iso on it or are able to make a new one?

Nope. I don't the the iso file in the usb and this is the only laptop i have so none of the options. :((

Shall I force shut down using power button on the keyboard and then turn on to see what happens?

Your risk is minimal; I would certainly try it.
Sometimes a fresh reboot works wonders.

1 Like

Wait wahatt.. I dont understand. How did it work? But it did. Wow.
i think i know now why this happened.. sudo apt update gave this message at last.
N: Skipping acquire of configured file 'main/binary-i386/Packages' as repository 'https://brave-browser-apt-release.s3.brave.com stable InRelease' doesn't support architecture 'i386'
while we are here, can you help me solve it i have no idea about how to solve it.

Remove the 32bit arch Brave Repository. You should see it in /etc/apt/sources.list.d

There's only one brave repo. i cant check whether its 32 bit one or not.

jayesh@Jayesh-IdeaPad:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls
alexlarsson-ubuntu-flatpak-focal.list       heroicgameslauncher.list.save                      maarten-fonville-ubuntu-android-studio-focal.list.save  unityhub.list                   zorinos-ubuntu-apps-focal.list.save
alexlarsson-ubuntu-flatpak-focal.list.save  lunarg-vulkan-1.3.239-focal.list                   oibaf-ubuntu-graphics-drivers-focal.list                unityhub.list.save              zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-focal.list
brave-browser-release.list                  lunarg-vulkan-1.3.239-focal.list.save              oibaf-ubuntu-graphics-drivers-focal.list.save           winehq-focal.sources            zorinos-ubuntu-drivers-focal.list.save
brave-browser-release.list.save             lunarg-vulkan-1.3.243-focal.list                   tomtomtom-ubuntu-conky-manager-focal.list               xanmod-kernel.list.save         zorinos-ubuntu-patches-focal.list
google-chrome.list                          lutris-team-ubuntu-lutris-focal.list               tomtomtom-ubuntu-conky-manager-focal.list.save          zorin.list                      zorinos-ubuntu-patches-focal.list.save
google-chrome.list.save                     lutris-team-ubuntu-lutris-focal.list.save          ubuntu-x-swat-ubuntu-updates-focal.list                 zorin.list.save                 zorinos-ubuntu-stable-focal.list
heroicgameslauncher.list                    maarten-fonville-ubuntu-android-studio-focal.list  ubuntu-x-swat-ubuntu-updates-focal.list.save            zorinos-ubuntu-apps-focal.list  zorinos-ubuntu-stable-focal.list.save

just realised theres lots of useless thrash here.

Are you using Wine?

LOL happens to us all... You can certainly remove the Oibaf Driver repos... they are no longer supporting this build.

i did long ago

so i remove the brave file there?

No, that would remove the entire repo.

If no longer using Wine, then lets remove the 32bit arch support as Wine is the only thing that requires it:

sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386

dpkg: error: cannot remove architecture 'i386' currently in use by the database

Is Wine currently installed?

Nope.

Ok, let's see what is using 32bit:

dpkg --get-selections | awk '/i386/{print $1}'
jayesh@Jayesh-IdeaPad:~$ dpkg --get-selections | awk '/i386/{print $1}'
gcc-10-base:i386
libasound2-plugins:i386
libblkid1:i386
libbz2-1.0:i386
libc6:i386