No automute when headphone is connected, other strange bahaviour of audio

Thanks for that, again, Zabadabadoo. No, you did not suggest the script, but it was in the link you added, and that was from someone experiencing the same problems with a similar sound card. That is, as far as I understood. So as nothing else seems to work, I thought I might as well give it a try, admittedly venturing very far out of my comfort zone. As I said, I will keep an eye out here for any solutions, but I am not holding my breath.

1 Like

Hi Zaba, the WiFi thing (along with sound) also seems to be a Ubuntu issue. I have had those problems since I made the Win jump to Ubuntu, maybe a decade back. Usually WiFi is "fixed" with a reboot, sometimes it takes a couple. I have 4 machines running various Ubuntu derivatives and all suffer the "No Wireless Installed" error from time to time.

I have used z 15 for many years after Ubuntu became too resource hungry and my old, main machine choked. It is a basic work station: no frills, no speakers. Z15 is stable so like you I will stay with it.

It wasn't till I upgraded to Z 16 earlier this year and tried the speakers on this newer AIO I found a sound problem. Frankly, Z 16 offered little incentive for me to upgrade, + a few things I didn't like so I went back to 15. It was then I ran into the sound issue again which you helped me solve.

I would concur 200%!
But the point is - after how many darn years, it shouldn't.
p

1 Like

Ahhh, so sorry. It was worth a crack Nigel.
Your screen shot is (almost) identical to mine with blank switches - but i could "materialise" and then manipulate them with arrow keys up / down.

I agree, sound is a basic "non negotiable deal breaker" in an O/S for 99.8% of users. Which is why I am surprised - and disappointed- there is no "official" comment or whatever from @AZorin , Ubuntu, Canonical ( Mark Shuttleworth) or if there is, it is very well hidden.

Linux fight hard to become a mainstream alternative to Win, but if they can't get a basic like sound sorted who is really going to trust them?

Do give Mint a whirl Peter, I tried it, wasn't for me but it might just be what the Dr ordered for you. If not, I would respectfully suggest trying Zorin 15 - maybe the light version given your lower specs.

Either way, let me know your feedback etc on Mint, (you can PM me rather than bloat this thread any more) and if you ever stumble over a z16 sound cure all - do share it!

peter Bic

As I promised before, I would like to tell you about my experiments after I found the audio problem I have with my Asus E200HA using Zorin. As Zorin was my first choice while telling MS Windows farewell, you will have guessed it was because of its looks and functionalities, which are all outstanding. BUT sound problems and the computer freezing at random intervalls while screaming in my ears are a definite deal breaker. So I went looking for another distro with good looks and good functioinalities. After watching a large number of youtube videos I thought I give Elementary a go. The graphics looked promising, but sideloading software turned out to be a nightmare. I found the whole experience very user-unfriendly so that one was binned at once. Had a look at some more, but all of them had the same audio/freezing problem. Finally, I found a thread somewhere about Mint 20.1 where one user also had a E200HA, had gone through a long time fighting the same problems untill he installed Mint 20.1. So that is what I tried, though it's 20.3 Una now which I installed. And hey Presto! Everything works, not a single problem. I did not particularly like the looks of Mint, but I managed to customize enough to at least have a minimalistic desktop of which I share a screenshot. I have a second computer which is an ACEPC 1 on which Zorin will stay, and I won leave this forum.

Glad you have found a sensible distro that provides you with properly working sound.
Out of interest, which kernel do you have with that Mint 20.3?

Yes, indeed, still sorry about Zorin16 not usable for me in my laptop. The kernel used is 5.4.0-97-generic. And about the soud problem, it wasn't just that, it was also the computer freezing as soon as the screaming sound started. Very annoying.

That is interesting, as ZorinOS 15.3 is on 5.4.0-97, which is not far off that kernel version.
So maybe we should have suggested you try Z15.3 with 5.4 kernel, which is still supported until 2023. If you tire of Mint, you could perhaps give it a try. But if all is working on Mint, then I would stick with it.

1 Like

That still does not explain why all worked well when Z16 was in trial mode - after the old Windows 10 had already been wiped when installing Zorin 16 the first time. When I experienced the audio problems I tried to reinstall Z16 and while still in trial mode I had sound and automute...

This... is a standing question across a variety of OS functions that has had many of us stumped for a very long time.

It's like the black box on an airplane. Why don't they just build the whole plane out of that stuff?
Why doesn't the installed OS use the Working Drivers and configuration that are in the Trial Mode?

2 Likes

exactly

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.