No loading/busy cursor on opening desktop applications

I recently converted to this Linux distro core-version as a Windows 10 user.

It could be just a windows-thing where you get a cursor indication when you start up a program, or is it also a thing for Ubuntu-based distros?

Well if it is a thing, it does take some time for my machine to boot up Steam or Discord so I often wonder if I actually properly double-clicked the desktop shortcut or not, so having this feature would really help.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

You can also see that kind of cursor in Linux. What kind of cursor shows when you are trying to load up any programs?

4 Likes

Some cursor themes you can install do this, as well.
The cursor theme that I use (Which does not come with Zorin OS) shows the Loading theme when launching an application.

4 Likes

Thank you!

My cursor is just the default theme, and it stays the same when I launch an application from the desktop (shortcut).

So there is no loading circle or anything, and it takes quite a while for my old HDD laptop to boot up heavier programs like Discord or Steam (5-10 sec), makes me wonder if I properly double-clicked it or not.

What should I look for when searching such cursor themes, or which ones do you recommend?
And am I able to just install such themes in settings or do I need the terminal for this?

Sorry for the noob questions haha, quite new to Linux.

On Any Operating System, files must be in their proper place and order.
Unlike Windows, on Linux, you have Full Control over this.

To install a custom Icon theme or Cursor them, create a new folder in your Home Folder for it.
Shorthand for /home/$USER/ directory is the "tilde" sign: ~
so, Home = ~
~/.icons

Right click an open area in your hole folder, select Create a new folder and name the new folder .icons

Cursor themes and Icon themes both go in ~/.icons

Now that you have the proper place for it...

I do not recommend one, since this is a huge variable that depends on your own preferences and tastes.
Our tastes may be very different, without anything being wrong with either one.
You can peruse many different Cursor themes:

Or
https://www.deviantart.com/search?q=x11%20cursor
https://www.deviantart.com/grynays

Once you select one that you want; extract the file with Right Click - and extract it into the .icons directory you created for it.

You can then select the cursor theme with a tool:
Open the terminal and install the GUI tweak tool with

sudo apt install gnome-tweaks

Once installed, search tweaks in the app menu and launch it.
Go to the Mouse Tab on the left and you can select the Cursor theme from that window.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.