No resize of ntfs partition

Dear All:

I try to install Zorin beside of Windows 8.1.

During the installation (Something else/Installation type) I get this message:
Your installation medium is on /dev/sdb. You will not be able to create, delete or resize partitions on the disk........

When I then choose the largest ntfs section and click Change... the pop-up window gives me no "SIZE" window.

There are smaller ntfs sections listed. When I choose them, the pop-up window shows the SIZE window, but theses sections are small in size.

I appreciate your comments
Best wishes
Henning

1 Like

Why are you trying dual boot with 8.1?

1 Like

I want to use Zorin as much as possible and use 8.1 with programs, which are
not available on Zorin.

1 Like

/dev/sdb is the Device USB stick.

In order to change the size of a partition, it needs an area that it can expand into.
Do you have any freespace on the drive?

1 Like

Dear Aravisian:
Thank you for your reply.
Under Windows the free space is 245 GB.
During Installation of Zorin there are three
free spaces listed with 1MB, 1MB, and2847 MB.

I hope this helps.
Best wishes
Henning

1 Like

These are likely essential EFI partitions and should not be changed.

Do you prefer to set a specific size, rather than use the "Install Zorin alongside Windows" option which will divide the 245gigabyte space in half?

Also - as a sidenote, Please ensure that you defrag Windows thoroughly prior to installing Zorin OS.

1 Like

Thank you again, Aravisian. I appreciate your help.
How do I proceed with the option "Install Zorin alongside....?
I think I won't use much space for Zorin or 8.1. Cut in half is OK with me.
((I cannot upgrade my 8.1 to 10. And the service for 8.1 runs out soon.))
Will do defrag first thing in the morning.
Best wishes
Henning

1 Like

The installer offers this as the first listed option above the "Something else..." option.

1 Like

Sorry, stupid question.
I'll keep you posted.
Best wishes
Henning

2 Likes

If you haven't done so already, boot into windows and disable the fast boot and hibernation options. These both lock the main windows partition from changes. Turn off fast boot in the bios as well as secure boot, these can also interfere with partition modification and os installation.

There is a tutorial in the tutorials category that covers partitioning and installing zorin 16, which should also work for any 16 variant.

1 Like

I thought 8.1 do not have fast boot?

1 Like

I believe it started with windows 8, but i could be wrong.

1 Like

Dear Aravisian:

Fast boot, secure boot and hibernate are off.
Defrag is done to 0% (took some time).

When I arrive at the Installation type page, I chose "Erase disk and install Zorin OS.

There is no option for alongside Windows. The second option is: Something else.

After I clicked install there is just a warning, that it will destroy all data on any partitions.......
This partition tables are changed:
SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda)

Partitions to be formatted:
partition #1 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ESP
partition #2 of SCSI1 (0,0,0) (sda) as ext4

When I continue do I still get Zorin alongside Windows?

Best wishes
Henning

1 Like

No.

The warning is accurate: That will destroy all data, erasing the disk. You will end up with only Zorin OS installed. Do not continue.

This means that something has gone wrong with the disk read- and this is undoubtedly the same thing that has caused the "Something Else" option to not work.

The most likely culprit is due to corruptions and errors on the Windows Partition.
What you must do is first check the disk integrity and repair any errors in Windows.
Once that is complete, try loading the Zorin OS installer again and ensure you have the "Install alongside" option present.

1 Like

Dear Aravisian:

Thank you again for your advice.
I will check the Windows partition and see if something pops up.
Which is the best Tool to do so? Any suggestions?
Best wishes
Henning

1 Like

Windows 8 comes with the chkdsk utility built in.
It was easier for me to look up a full guide than to write one so:

1 Like

Thank you, Aravisian.
I appreciate it.
Best
Henning

1 Like

Dear Aravisian:

I ran chkdsk. It ran up to 35% and then jumped to 100% and "Scanning and repairing drice C: 100% complete." And stood there for quite some time. I finally shut it down hard. When I booted up again it started chkdsk again. Whatever I tried I couldn't get out of that loop, until I managed to choose a restore point.

After that I ran sfc. The message was there were corrupted files, some were repaired, some not.

Then I tried the installation of Zorin again. No change, no option alongside.
I give up. I have the funds for a new computer. I think the 8.1 is now 8 years old and may cause more trouble in the future.

Aravisian, thank you so much for your help and patience.
Best wishes
Henning

2 Likes

I agree that some corruption left without being repaired is very concerning. It also may suggest bad sectors on the drive.
This is one small problem with Windows. Corruptions are smoothed over like nacre in a clam shell. Linux is nowhere near so tolerant with it.

Dear Turtle11:
As far as I recall no.
Best wishes
Henning