No Wi-Fi Adapter Found after Zorin update Intel Corporation Wireless-AC 9260

Updated with Zorin Software Updater application and the, previously working for a very long time, WiFi is no longer working.

Tried several things on forum and internet but nothing is working . Having to use a hotspot connection via bluetooth to iPhone to get internet for Zorin desktop.

lshw shows adaptor fine.

~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for sjsaunde:
-network
description: Network controller
** product: Wireless-AC 9260
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
version: 29
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list
configuration: driver=iwlwifi latency=0
resources: irq:152 memory:fc900000-fc903fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: I211 Gigabit Network Connection
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
logical name: enp6s0
version: 03
serial: 18:c0:4d:83:33:85
capacity: 1Gbit/s
width: 32 bits
capabilities: pm msi msix pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=igb driverversion=5.15.0-71-generic firmware=0. 6-1 latency=0 link=no multicast=yes port=twisted pair
resources: irq:24 memory:fc800000-fc81ffff ioport:f000(size=32) memory:fc820000-fc823fff
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: bnep0
serial: 98:8d:46:d9:33:88
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes ip=172.20.10.5 multicast=yes

Can you boot into Advanced Options for Zorin from the Grub Menu (If you do not see the grub menu at boot, tap the esc or tab key during boot like you are playing Mortal Kombat).

From the Advanced Options, arrow key down to the previous working kernel and select it with the enter key to boot from it.
Test if wifi is working.
If it is, you may need DKMS for your wifi driver - or ther emay be an issue with the latest kernel with your driver. Let's first see if the kernel is involved.

1 Like

HI @Aravisian, thanks for responding to my woes.

I was able to pick the last Kernel from Advanced Options Grub Menu, Kernel 5.15.0-52-generic. Looks like the same thing is happening where lshw shows the device but still system says No Wi-Fi Adapter Found. I dual boot so not having trouble with Windows 10 on same hardware and this used to never be a problem on Zorin for over a year, only have sound-card issues so that is why I updated to latest.

@Aravisian, well a few reboots back and forth to Windows 10 and back to Zorin with latest Kernel and guess what ... Wi-Fi is working. Weird. Now lshw -C Network shows below with differences highlighted:

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: Wireless-AC 9260
bus info: pci@0000:05:00.0
logical name: wlp5s0
version: 29
serial: 98:8d:46:d9:33:84
width: 64 bits
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=iwlwifi driverversion=5.15.0-71-generic firmware=46.4d093a30.0 9260-th-b0-jf-b0- ip=192.168.0.109 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11
resources: irq:152 memory:fc900000-fc903fff

1 Like

I will reboot a few more times differently to see if there is a pattern, usually for windows I hibernate and then when I start it back up I might pick Zorin drive in BIOs boot menu. Sometimes I restart and switch OS. Maybe some kind of interaction is happening on the device between the OS versions, seems that shouldn't happen or make logical sense.

1 Like

I agree - that is not going to happen.
I think it is more likely that it took some reboots to clear out the module support for the Wifi Driver to the newest kernel.

Well a few reboots later and seem that if I "Hibernate" Windows, either let it go do it frin inactivity or do it manually, and then when booting back up I pick Zorin drive I get into this situation so have been able to recreate it and the lshw -C Network is again missing key data.

If I "Restart" windows and then pick Zorin drive I haven't yet seen this problem. So maybe something with windows hibernate. I'll see if this is repeatable each time. At least I know how to avoid it, don't use windows hibernate.

1 Like

When Windows Hibernates, instead of shutting down, it may be sending a signal to lock the WIFI during hibernation that remains even if you boot Zorin?

1 Like

Thank you!
I think I have an explanation and a fix now from your assistance. I changed the adapter configuration property under Power Management tab to not "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" and then put Windows in hibernate and brought up Zorin on other drive from bios reboot screen and Wi-Fi adapter is working fine. The hibernation feature in Windows is very useful for picking up where left off so was wanting to preserve that ability.

Thanks again, so much. I set your last reply as the solution.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.