No wifi adapter found Zorin Lite

I'm sure that I must be among the worst customers to ever attempt to transition to Zorin.
How exactly am I supposed to get packages? I see things on that site [git] but I'm uncertain about downloading(?) them...

I remember saying something very similar when I first moved to Zorin. :smiley:
The vast majority of packages can be installed from Terminal with

sudo apt-get install

Just add the package name you want. For example, if you want to install gimp:

sudo apt-get install gimp

If you are unsure of the package name, just do a quick duckduck or google search for it.
Sometimes, the package is not in the Ubuntu or Zorin repository. In terminal, you will get "package not found". Again, do a quick net search for that package name plus repository. For example:
If you want to install A Widget Factory:

A Widget Factory repository ubuntu 18.04

OR when you are using Zorin 16

A Widget Factory repository ubuntu 20.04

You can install anything in the repositories using the Software Channel from your app menu instead of using the terminal. I encourage terminal use as it is good practice; but it's certainly not required for you. The Software Channel can also "uninstall" any package you have listed, as well.
Lastly, you can install any .deb package just by double clicking it. Let's say you cannot find an independent repository for the package you want or cannot find it in the Ubuntu repo.
You can search up packages on
pkgs.org
Just run your search, then hit the drop down menu for Ubuntu 18.04 for Zorin 15 or Ubuntu 20.04 for Zorin 16.
Download the desired package, then double click it to run the installer.

1 Like

Not to beat a dead horse but could you please confirm that sudo lshw -c network produces no output? Only running the command I have explicitly stated (not > wireless.txt part).

:thinking: okay - more 'cool' stuff to learn.
So, if I'm looking for a wi-fi adapter for this funny old computer, I can do a search?

Well, this time:

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller
vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:04:00.0
logical name: enp4s0
version: 01
serial: 28:80:23:ca:cd:e7
size: 100Mbit/s
capacity: 100Mbit/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list rom ethernet physical tp mii 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=r8169 duplex=full ip=108.12.240.5 latency=0 link=yes multicast=yes port=MII speed=100Mbit/s
resources: irq:19 ioport:e800(size=256) memory:febff000-febfffff memory:febc0000-febdffff

Why it worked now, I dunno; but thanks.
At the risk of abysmal redundancy - what now? :man_shrugging:
[I guess you should feel free to 'beat all the dead horses' Ya want... :grin:

That is what was in the wireless text, after all, tho... So, it apparently is no breakthrough. I'll try to tune in tomorrow...

Thanks.
The > just directs the output to the wireless.txt file.
Does your wired internet work? The reason I ask is that this individual How to use the WiFi in Ubuntu 20.04 using realtek semiconductor 802.11n - DEV Community uses the rtl8188fu driver to get their wireless running and their controller is Rtl810xe which is the same as yours. I’m wondering if you can install using their steps. The driver seems to work for the Z16 (Ubuntu 20.04) kernel but it is also listed for kernel 4.15 onwards which covers Z15.

Just as an aside to consider after Aravisian’s suggestions.

1 Like

I think that this is less of an "aside" and more of an answer. My suggestions above were a General package Management - to a general question (Really could be in a thread of its own) whereas yours addresses the actual issue at hand.
So, for TechNut, this is your starting point, rather than a net or pkgs.org search.

1 Like

I'm still 'wired-in' for now; when i get this thing back upstairs and try to connect - that'll show if I did it correctly, etc.
Either way, I'll be back & let'cha know!
Many thanks for all the concern, help, etc..

Marked solution. 10