No wifi adapter found Zorin Lite

Referencing Using Software & Updates to find WiFi Adapter drivers - sole edit added by moderator

Will that work if I installed Zorin Lite “in place of” windows (yep- wiped hard drive…) I didn’t find ANY drivers available. [msg states: Unable to download firmware updates…Cannot resolve hostname].

TechNut, can you provide a bit of history and details that can help us to approach this question?
What hardware are you running? What symptoms are you having in wifi failing to work?
The message

Unable to download firmware updates…Cannot resolve hostname

suggests that the repo for your firmware updates is giving a 404 error.

From the side:
Intel Pentium Processor E2210
NVIDIA GeForce 7050 Integrated
320 GB HDD
3GB DDR2 Memory
A cpu (emachine) purchased new '09. It always seemed ‘screwy’ since a younger person took control of it before I had access. Of late I’ve tired of microsoft, windows; started exploring options. Watched videos, finally took the plunge. I realized that installing Zorin “in place of” windows (not alongside) had some risk, but didn’t think that I’d have no internet access initially.

Contacting the Help peeps, they said to run the command:
sudo lshw -C network > wireless.txt
[At 1st I thought the ‘l’ was ‘I’ but no matter how I ran it got no joy on that. Trying different ways of entering command, I got this other reply: “You should run this as a super-user”. Can’t think of any more ‘super’ user than myself…
[I am a rookie - willing to learn, invest time, etc. but in the meantime I’m counting on the highly-touted support commuity].

So, given that the firmware is giving “a 404 error” - should I consider it kaput?
P.S. I read earlier here that Zorin OS ‘kills usb’s’. I used one to transfer the OS onto the desktop; can’t read it now (at least not on this windows laptop). Thanks for all your help. I plan on supporting you all once I get up-and-running; totally worthwhile cause(s).

No, not at all. At this moment, I am multitasking heavily. scanning the thread, I caught this line, but I have not fully read the details, yet. Dealing with coaching balancing an engine, but will return in a bit.
No, Zorin OS absolutely does not kill USB's.
The thread you read commented that BalenaEtcher, an app for writing to USB sticks, is accused of it. But accusation does not equate to guilt.
I understand how you feel. You took the plunge and at the moment, you are worried that everything is broken and nothing will work. But your hardware was built for windows- We just need to do some troubleshooting, is all.
Let me "undivide" my attention and I will return to this thread- and in the meantime, others may also provide solutions, too.

1 Like

Ok, a double-post:
TechNut, open a terminal (ctrl+alt+t keyboard shortcut) and paste this line into it

sudo apt update

Please paste the output of that to show which repo entries are giving any errors.

Next, in terminal paste in

sudo apt dist-upgrade

This is to upgrade or add to any packages you need. This action may even resolve your issue... But in case it does not, we stand at the ready over here.
Let's say that your issue with wifi remains after running the above commands.
Let's try building your wifi
In terminal paste in each line

sudo apt install build-essential git

This installs "git" for grabbing some packages from source
Use it to get the packages:

git clone kernel/git/iwlwifi/backport-iwlwifi.git - Backport tree for iwlwifi

Now use the 'cd' command to change terminal to that directory

cd backport-iwlwifi

Now use the 'make' application to make the build

sudo make

sudo make install

With that built, we need to give root access and instruct the computer to use it. While GUI installers normally do all this for you, we are doing this manually for now. Good Training

sudo -i

Enter your password for root.
Now configure it

echo “options iwlwifi disable_msix=1” >> /etc/modprobe.d/iwlwifi.conf

Exit and reboot your computer and check for wifi.

2 Likes

I’ll add to this as well. Providing that the troubleshooting yields no joy (I hope it does) there’s always the option of buying a USB WiFi dongle.

Haven’t been able to pick up on this 'til now… really glad to see it’s still possible. Plugged in CPU & Zorin’s still there; just need to keep at it to get internet. I did what you said above - stalled at: Package git not available, but is referred to by another package. This may mean that the pkg is missing, has been obsoleted, or is only available from another source.
E: Unable to locate package build-essential
E: Package ‘git’ has no installation candidate.

After putting in website (git.kernel…) I got:
No such file or directory

And… after putting in upgrade command:
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, and 0 not upgraded.

I’m making progress… following instructions on the cpu screen. I’ll let you know when I’m connected. Many thanks for the encouragement.

This is interesting.
It says git is unavailable?
Git in the current repo:

git version (1:2.17.1-1ubuntu0.7)

build-essential version (12.4ubuntu1)

Before proceeding, can you go to the App Menu and search for and open "Software & Updates". On the first tab when it opens, look near Mid-Bottom for the drop down menu for "Download From:" and ensure that is set to "Main Server?"

wow - okay, Was set for ‘server from the U.S.’
Will start fresh w/ previous instruction

Set to Main Server, now?
If connecting when Wifi is not working, you may need hardline Cat cable or maybe Hotspot.

Finally figured out to connect cpu directly to internet input…Lots of progress downloading. Only hitch: upon entering “cd backport-iwlwifi” reply: no such file or directory

Then, I got frustrated so I purchased Ultimate (to get help with install). That didn’t seem to make a bit of difference.

The file you downloaded may have been updated causing the name to change slightly- just look at the name of the file you downloaded and extracted, and "cd" into that- or open your file manager and click that file open, then right click in the window and select "Open in Terminal" if your FM has that extension.

1 Like

Ran update (per your 9/20/20 instructions... Now will detach from cable, see if Wi-Fi functions. Fingers crossed : )

Aanndd - a-building the wi-fi we will go...

You: "Let’s try building your wifi
In terminal paste in each line"

What is meant by "each line" here/ I got a ton of response from the previous command (update); hoping 'each line' doesn't mean THOSE lines..!??

"Each line" refers to the post I made in which you see quotes that look like this:

This would be one line.

This would be the next line.

Not the lines that appear in your terminal; those are printouts for you to know what is going on and what your system is doing.